Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Rub to the rescue!

Sunday was my nephews 1st communion, my sister was hosting a party. She recruited my wife and I to skip service and go to her house to put lunch together. She had made BBQ pulled beef in the white square thing in her kitchen the day prior to serve as the main part of lunch. My wife, had the insight that I should come prepared with a supply of rubs to see if I could "work some magic" to improve her meal. I arrived to find a stock pot with 8 lbs of pulled beef drowned in a vinegar and ketchup sauce. After heating the stock pot on med low, I took a taste - not expecting much, and my expectations where not even met. It was Bad, couldn't taste the meat, just vinegar & ketchup. So I drained off all the liquid and put the meat in a large crock pot, then covered the meat in a liberal coating  of Steven Raichlens basic BBQ rub from my stock which I brought along.  Mixed the rub in, and left the crock pot on "Keep warm" for another half hour before the meal. When the guests walked in, everyone commented on how good it smelled. My sister immediately took a sample from the crock pot, and was all pleased with herself for how it turned out - obviously she never tasted it the night before. After she noticed it wasn't swimming in liquid and she took another taste, she looked at me and asked me what I did to her beef to make it taste so good. Home mixed quality BBQ rub to the rescue! Next party she has, I think I will be catering from the BGE.

Comments