Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old School Brisket (w/Aaron Franklin's BBQ Sauce)

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

The other week, we bought a 100% grass fed, full packer that weighed in at 5.46 lbs. I eagerly waited cooking it all week. Taking a cue from Aaron Franklin, I decided to go old school and season it with nothing but 50/50% salt and pepper. No fancy rub, no slather, no injection, no marinade, nothing. Just salt and pepper.

On at 11 am, grate temp 250, mesquite chips and pecan and hickory chunks for smoke.

Brisket was never wrapped in foil or butcher paper. Tossed in some sausage as it neared 180.

Finished at 6:30 (7.5 hours)

FTC'ed for 30 minutes while Mrs. G got the cream spinach finished up

Look at that slice from the point!

Plated up with some sausage and creamed spinach. Not pictured was a big ole bowl of boracho beans.image

I've got to say that this might just have been the best brisket I have ever done in my life. Fork tender, just the right amount of smoke. And forget ever using anything but salt and pepper for a rub from now on. I am sold on that being the way to go. Didn't get any smoke ring, however and I'm not sure why. Went on the egg straight from the fridge and there was plenty of smoke. Oh well, that's just for aesthetics anyway. Loved how fast this cooked as well. 7.5 hours? Much better than an overnighter, easily cooked on a weekend. And way more than 2 people could eat. We had it for dinner Sunday and I think there is still half left. This was Mrs. G's plate, btw. I had some of the sauce on the side, but it didn't really need it. What a great Saturday!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Griffin

Forgot the sauce

Aaron Franklin’s BBQ Sauce

• 1/2 lb butter
    • 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
    • 1 1/2 cup s ketchup (not high fructose corn syrup)
    • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 2 oz light brown sugar
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 1 tsp black pepper
    • a little less than 1 tsp garlic powder
    • a little less than 1 tsp chili powder
    • 1/2 lemon squeezed
    1. Melt butter and saute onions until soft and translucent.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
    3. Serve warm with bbq.

We found his sauce to be on the sweet side, so we added in some drippings from the brisket, Frank’s Hot Sauce, more black pepper, some red pepper flakes, ancho and chipotle powder. Feel free to adjust to suit your tastes. Next time, I think I’ll cut back on the butter as well.

Rowlett, Texas

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    is that a piece of sausage that snuck in there!
    nice brisket man!

XLBGE 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @Griffin - This is the only way I do briskets now. I even get the 16/20 mesh pepper Aaron uses on his briskets. Most of the central texas BBQ joint use this method. If I have all day to cook, I do not wrap. If not, I will wrap after 160* or so (and like the bark) with butcher paper. I also use post oak only as smoking wood.

I may have to do one soon. U have inspired me.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Griffin
    But of course! All good bbq should have some sausage. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Looks amazing.....I love the melted cheese on the spinach as well :)   Mmmm, I want a plate!
    Large BGE

• Griffin
    That was smoked Gruyere. Pretty darn tasty.

Rowlett, Texas

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Griffin  -

Looks great!  Some of the 'smoke ring' can be food staining from spices paprika or annatto seeds.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Looks good. I hope my next brisket looks that good,  Awsome cook.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is a first for me: creamed spinach on Que... But one hell of a brisket my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

@Springram - I was thinking about using butcher paper, but never made it to the store to get any. maybe next time, although it really didn't need it IMHO.

@sumoconnell - that can happen sometimes. Nitrites/nitrates will can do that as well. The salt and pepper were only on maybe 30 mintues before I cooked it.

Rowlett, Texas

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    love the bark!!!! looks great! have u ever tried to do burnt ends??? :D
  • That thing is a masterpiece.  Well done, sir.

I think brisket may be my next adventure.  Thanks for sharing.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks great Griff, sometimes simple is better.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    daffy1909 said:
    love the bark!!!! looks great! have u ever tried to do burnt ends??? :D

I have not. I need to do that and always plan on it but never carry through.

@CantonDawg- thanks.

@JRWhitee - I agree.

Rowlett, Texas

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks fabulous! Great job Griff!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Outstanding!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Yum! Can you overnight me some?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I'm curious as to how you're warming up to 100% grass fed beef.  I can't remember if you said you liked it or not.  I know some people can really taste a difference.  Is it something you like, or is it something you'll have to learn to love? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    SaltySam said:
    I'm curious as to how you're warming up to 100% grass fed beef.  I can't remember if you said you liked it or not.  I know some people can really taste a difference.  Is it something you like, or is it something you'll have to learn to love? 
    The few times I've tried local 100% grass-fed beef I haven't really been satisfied at all.  Flavor and texture are just way off, IMO.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Point looks spot on Grif.  I could tear some of that up right now.

Next time I do a brisket, going to give this 50/50 S and P, old school method a try.

Plated pic looks purty man, nicely done.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griffin

@SaltySam - to tell you the truth, we haven't eaten much beef. We had some steaks from an organicey type grocery store that were horrible. The steaks were puny and not much marbling. I should have known better when we got them. I mixed in some grass fed with regular for some chili, couldn't tell a difference taste wise or texture wise. The brisket was extremely tender, but I couldn't tell the difference between it and a regular one except size. I did see some steaks that a rancher had at the Richardson Farmer's Market this weekend and they were huge! And dry aged for 3 weeks. Should have gotten them, maybe next time. Guess i need to try more before I can form an opinion.

We did have some bison patties and they were great. Gonna try elk or ostrich next time I go back to that organicey store

Rowlett, Texas

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    @Griffin, what's the recipe for the creamed spinach?  I love creamed spinach, and that looks delicious..

Congrats on the excellent looking brisket as well!
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

That looks just as good, if not BETTER than what I had at Franklin!  The bark and the juiciness look out of this world!  Outstanding job, as usual!  This may be my favorite of all your posts.  Dang, now I want brisket.  Good thing I'll be in TX in a few weeks to get my fix.  ;)

• Looks great, did one a week ago. Man was it good, loaf if white bread and sliced brisket.....no sauce needed!! Ate till we couldn't walk!!
  • Griffin
    @bccomstock Mrs.G used ina garten's recipe on food network. spinach gratin.

Rowlett, Texas

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385

Griffin
    said: Look at that slice from the point!

That looks really good.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • ccsmoke
    ccsmoke Posts: 4
    Very nice. I've been wanting to try Franklin's method. Where did you get the 16 mesh pepper?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Great looking brisket  =P~

I think that is a great way to do it, now I just need to find a small packer like that… 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Really nice looking Brisket, looks like it melts in your mouth!
  • Damn griff! Awesome. I have found grass fed steaks not to my liking but we do grass fed chili, pot roasts and other long cooks. Nice to know that this turned out so well. That was a killer looking brisky. Great work.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX