Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You never forget your first... Juicy Lucy

I finally got around to trying a Juicy Lucy tonight.

85% lean ground beef from Costco was doctored up with a couple slices of ground-up bacon, a couple cloves of garlic, and--of course--fish sauce instead of plain old salt. For each burger I made 2 4 oz patties, sandwiching about 1.5 oz of pepper jack cheese. I just pinched the edges together and reshaped each patty into a nice fat disc. 

The burgers went on at about 450F direct for approximately 6 minutes per side (145F internal). A few more slices of bacon kept the beef company in the cherry wood smoke. I was worried about the patties falling apart, but they held together just fine. 

Condiments were Tabasco mayo, fresh onions, avocado, and Melinda's habañero ketchup. Sadly I was out of garlic dill pickle slices, but it was already a riot of flavor. 

It really didn't take much longer to make Juicy Lucy patties and I am sure I will do this again. 

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks and sounds like it was a great burger!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Looks good to me! I never thought of grinding bacon in the burger meat. Nice idea.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Tabasco, habañero ketchup, pepper jack cheese?  Had a little kick to it?

Looks great, and the fish sauce brought out the umami.  Good job !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I make these all the time, but how does avocado taste in a burger? Have to try one I guess.

Good job and nice presentation. !!!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    That looks so good!  Have some Jucy Lucy's on the mind for dinner tonight as well!
    Large BGE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome! The condiments sound like a great addition!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    The spicy mayo and ketchup added a little heat, but both are pretty mild as spicy stuff goes. I'd serve them to almost anyone without worry. 

My other favorite off-the-shelf condiment is "Lemonaise" mayo, which also would have been good here. 
  • Awsome, that looks great,  making those this week. May have to try some of those condiments.   =D>
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks delicious!  I have hamburger steaks on the menu tonight....may have to stuff them with cheese now.  :)
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291

Horse you are right I know many people that will never forget after they get 3rd degree burns down ther chin and forarm. Your burger looks great and I am going to have try the avocado thing also.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Those burgers look slammin'! Made these once before and they were a big hit, but your versions sounds way better.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I'm a fan of fish sauce, but never thought about burgers.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • horseflesh
    3rd degree burns, now that gives me an idea.

Modify this burger by adding Aleppo pepper to the patty, for more heat. Lose the avocado, and replace it with green chiles or even roasted jalapeños--serve the avocado on the side instead, so you can take a bite when you need to reduce the burn.

Dish patties right off the grill onto the prepared buns. Serve it with a warning placard and a bright yellow Thermapen so guests can monitor the molten cheese temperature before their first bite. It's the Burn Unit burger!

• horseflesh
    Texaswig, I'll use fish sauce in almost any savory dish in place of some of the salt I'd normally use. Huge fan.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great looking meal.  I have been known to make a Lucy Juicy meatloaf.