Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, barbacoa, pizza, Possum, and Austin Eggfest (and perhaps a wee bit too much bourbon)

Options
2»

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    egger ave said:

I was visited by "Food Blogger" and his girl friend from somewhere on the west coast at the eggfest. He told me he thought the food was boring in Texas and much better in California. He would not taste my chorizo, said he knew all about ground pork. I love experts who are dumb asses.

In Norcal, the Portuguese chorizo is much closer to Spanish chorizo not al all like what we grew up with here in Texas...alot greaser too.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GoldenEgg
    GoldenEgg Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Options
  • GoldenEgg
    Options
    egger ave said:
    I was visited by "Food Blogger" and his girl friend from somewhere on the west coast at the eggfest. He told me he thought the food was boring in Texas and much better in California. He would not taste my chorizo, said he knew all about ground pork. I love experts who are dumb asses.
    (FYI, I'm John's spouse.)  There were a few arrogant guys/gals attending who seemed to think because we were serving food and they had paid to attend that we must be servants to be abused. Had a different guy say he had tasted chorizo once before and didn't like it and seemed to be saying that it wasn't sufficiently sophisticated for his palate.  He never did try our chorizo despite his stopping to harass us.  It did seem to me that none of them were Texans though. Is there a way to stop immigration from Los Angeles?  It caught me by surprise but managed to stay polite.   

On the other hand, we had lots and lots of wonderful people who loved the food and took pictures of John's recipe.  And, I really loved seeing some of the familiar faces and getting a chance to chat a little.   My favorite festivals are the more laid back and relaxed Salado and Athens festivals.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Listening to a little George Jones (The. Possum) this morning while shaking off the Bulliet getting ready for Austin Eggfest. Salado style brisket, barbacoa, and pizza are on the menu. Hanging with @lakewade, his lovely bride and TFJ today should make for a bad tomorrow :). our team name is "Smoke Up, Johnny". TFJ took it upon herself to create logo and screen print it on aprons. Nerdy? Yes. Awsome? Even more so. Happy Saturday all.We'll keep you posted from ATX. Bloody Mary's are flowing, brisket is smoking, all is right with the world.
    Cen-Tex and TFJ:  Thank you!  Sue and I had a blast and this is now in the rotation as a yearly thing.  We met a lot of great people and had so much fun.  BBQ Outfitters (Bob, Nikki and team) did a great job setting everything up and it was really easy.  Thanks all and see you next time.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:

Listening to a little George Jones (The. Possum) this morning while shaking off the Bulliet getting ready for Austin Eggfest. Salado style brisket, barbacoa, and pizza are on the menu. Hanging with @lakewade, his lovely bride and TFJ today should make for a bad tomorrow :). our team name is "Smoke Up, Johnny". TFJ took it upon herself to create logo and screen print it on aprons. Nerdy? Yes. Awsome? Even more so.

Happy Saturday all.We'll keep you posted from ATX. Bloody Mary's are flowing, brisket is smoking, all is right with the world.

Cen-Tex and TFJ:  Thank you!  Sue and I had a blast and this is now in the rotation as a yearly thing.  We met a lot of great people and had so much fun.  BBQ Outfitters (Bob, Nikki and team) did a great job setting everything up and it was really easy.  Thanks all and see you next time.

That was so much fun. I have to say I was dangerously close to the dreaded "watermelon toss drunk" by the end of the day. My little road trip to Ft. Worth today was not fun. All worth it though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Listening to a little George Jones (The. Possum) this morning while shaking off the Bulliet getting ready for Austin Eggfest. Salado style brisket, barbacoa, and pizza are on the menu. Hanging with @lakewade, his lovely bride and TFJ today should make for a bad tomorrow :). our team name is "Smoke Up, Johnny". TFJ took it upon herself to create logo and screen print it on aprons. Nerdy? Yes. Awsome? Even more so. Happy Saturday all.We'll keep you posted from ATX. Bloody Mary's are flowing, brisket is smoking, all is right with the world.
    That was so much fun. I have to say I was dangerously close to the dreaded "watermelon toss drunk" by the end of the day.
    Now half of me wishes I hung around after, the other half is glad we couldn't.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lakewade
    Options
    A few photos from the Texas Eggfest.

View from the Egg.

Smoke Up Johnny and Lake Rat Kitchen.

Bad Idea Productions.

Pulled Pork and Mexican Coleslaw Bites.

Cubanelle peppers stuffed with mozzarella and pepperoni and wrapped with fresh basil.

More pulled pork and Mexican cole slaw.

Goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped figs (Piggy Figgies) and cream cheese stuffed bacon wrapped strawberries (Bacon Poteets).

CenTex.

-----------
  • lakewade
    Options
    That was so much fun. I have to say I was dangerously close to the dreaded "watermelon toss drunk" by the end of the day. My little road trip to Ft. Worth today was not fun. All worth it though.
    "Watermelon toss drunk" is now on the t-shirt.  Right next to "Drunker than a soup sandwich".

-----------
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That's my boy :). Great time, you guys dropped the bomb on that place. Awesome food. Those peppers were off the charts.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ok so trying to catch up with the goings on at the Austin fest, and overall it looks like a good time was had by all. 

As for the CA immigrants who had the gall to act like such pinheads, I suggest keeping long hot skewers handy next time...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited April 2013
    Options
    lakewade said:
    "Watermelon toss drunk" is now on the t-shirt.  Right next to "Drunker than a soup sandwich".

I"m not sure which one of those is worse. Soup sandwich is bad. but watermelon toss is a whole different deal. That's going to be an awesome T-Shirt if you ever get it printed. (and loved the "bad idea productions". Well said)