Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my LBGE yesterday...need advice on a steak cook.

Options
MJG
MJG Posts: 598
As the title states I got my large yesterday. Put the nest and the Egg together without much problem. I do need to adjust the bands today as they are not perfect. Got a platesetter too but in all excitement it got left behind at the dealer so I will be picking that up tomorrow after work. For a number of reasons I was not able to cook on it last night but that won't be the case today. I have (4) two inch thick ribeyes. What is the best way to go about these? Will need to be direct as platesetter is not on site. Need advice on temp and approximate times. I know I need to cook to a certain temp to produce medium rare. Thanks in advance.
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    First, I would light a small fire and play with the vents so you can start to figure out the settings. I am assuming you only have stock grate as cooking option so I would get egg settled in around 350-400 and cook like you would on gasser. Once IT temp gets to 90-100, open vents up wide open and sear it off a few mins a side until 120 IT. Down the road you will have some eggsessories you can play with and experiment. Good luck and post pics
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Once you get your plate setter, you will have try doing those with a reverse sear (cook at 250f until just below your desired finish temp and then a quick sear - my favorite way for thick steaks).

For now, you could try the TREX method or "hot tub" method.

TREX
    High temp sear your steaks 90 seconds or so a side, remove and rest.  Get your Egg temp down to 400f and then finish roasting the steaks.  May take 15-20 minutes to get the temp down.

Hot Tub
    Kind of a red neck sous vide.  Put the steaks in a sealed bag in 105 to 110f water for 1 hour.  Then grill your steak to desired temp.  The water helps temper the steak to an even temperature and cook more evenly/quickly once it hits the grill.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Without a way to determine the internal temperature -- you are guessing.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    You don't need the platesetter for steaks, so no harm there.

Chubbs has it right.  Keep it simple. If they are 2 inches thick, then get the egg to 350-400.  At that temp, you should be able to get good color on the outside, and even cooking on the inside.

Let the steaks warm up before cooking.  They cook better.  Press on the steak with your fingers while it is still uncooked, and remember how it feels.  Medium rare will feel quite a bit firmer, but still stay pretty soft in the center.  I would guess 5 minutes a side at 400-425. 

Rest those big steaks for 10 minutes before cutting, and even if you over cook them to medium, they will still be juicy.  If you under cook them, the microwave can be carefully used in 20 second intervals to second intervals to fix that.   
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Do experiment a bit w. temperature control. For steak searing, the dome temperature needs to be at least 450F. 550 - 600 is better. Once the fire reaches 450, it can rise above 800, and higher in just a few minutes. You need to know the effects of opening and closing vents. You also will want to practice "burping" the hot Egg. While almost everyone has a least 1 flashback experience, learning how to vent the heat and volatile gases before opening the dome all the way will reduce the likelyhood.

Be sure your dome is well seated, and that there are no gaps in the gasket seal. Place a "dollar" piece of paper on the rim, shut the dome, and tug to see if the paper is snug in place. Do that all around the rim. I understand newer Eggs have a more heat resistant gasket, but a gap will still expose the material to extremely hot gases.

I find the "hot tub" method is just about fool-proof. Season the steaks, and seal them in plastic bags w. as much air removed as possible. Submerge them in a pot of hot tap water. My tap water comes out around 120F w. the water heater on low setting, 140-ish on medium. If you have water at 130, 2" thick steaks will cook from fridge temp. to med rare in about 2 hours, with water changes. You can then just toss them on the hot grill for a short time.

To do the sear, remove the fire ring. Start a full fire bowl of lump, and place the grill on top. The steaks will cook about an inch from the lump. Let the dome temp get up to at least 450. The temp at the grill will be closer to 1800F. Working quickly, drop the steraks in, and give them no more than 30 seconds per 1/2 inch thickness, i.e. 2 min. tops. Burp the Egg, open, and flip steaks. Continue another 2 min. Burp, then remove steaks, shut down Egg. Tent and wait 10 min to serve.

Good luck.
  • MJG
    Options
    Without a way to determine the internal temperature -- you are guessing.

Agreed. I have that part covered with a slow 6 second registering Thermoworks probe. Thermapen on the Father's Day wish list. I appreciate your feedback.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options

Well you are good to go -- these steaks being two inches thick -- i would grill them close to the fire and pull them when you get an average internal of 135 degrees, if they are a tad too rare, throw them in the micro for a few minutes..

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

throw them in the micro for a few minutes..

Nooooooo!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MJG
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Thanks to all for the guidance. I'll give it a bid and see what happens. Looking forward to it!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options

Season the steaks and allow them to come to room temperature.

Load the charcoal to about 4 inches deep.

Light the coal pile in several places.

FILL up a Webber charcoal chimney and light it.

Keep an eye on your dome temp and regulate to 350* while you sear the steaks.

When the chimney is glowing, place a cooking grate on top and sear the steaks for 90 seconds on each side.

Dump what charcoal is left in the chimney into the Egg. This will jump the dome temp up to 400* - 450*.

Add the cooking grate and steaks.

Close the dome and cook to desired doneness.

-- or --

My way:

Season the steaks and allow them to come to room temperature.

Fill up a Webber charcoal chimney and light it.

When it is glowing, dump the charcoal into the Egg.

Add enough charcoal to make a 4 inch bed.

Leave the lower damper and dome top wide open.

When you get a good lava bed going, put the steaks ON the coals.

After 90 seconds on each side, Put the steaks on the cooking grate, place the cooking grate in the Egg, and close the Egg up completely. (Snuff the fire)

Remove when done to your liking.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've started seasoning my steaks right before the egg. Salt will pull moisture out. If the steak is undercooked just flip it back on the egg. Let it rest under foil loosely laid on top. Most of all try the next few steak cooks differently to determine "your" method.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MJG
    Options
    Wow. I took before pictures but no afters. I loaded up pretty good with lump and played with the temps a bit. As I am sure most of you know the temp can jump up quickly but sure took a long time to go down. I started them off @ 350ish flipped them once and then got the egg up north of 600 for just a few minutes per side, checked for internal temp of 135, let rest for 10 minutes and got on with the show. Hanging back, I waited for my wife and 2 daughters to have a taste first. Their reactions were great. Once I dove in I wondered why I have wasted 43 years in this earth without an Egg.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Congrats -- just think after you get the tools(accessories) how very easy it will be !!