Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, barbacoa, pizza, Possum, and Austin Eggfest (and perhaps a wee bit too much bourbon)

Listening to a little George Jones (The. Possum) this morning while shaking off the Bulliet getting ready for Austin Eggfest. Salado style brisket, barbacoa, and pizza are on the menu. Hanging with @lakewade, his lovely bride and TFJ today should make for a bad tomorrow :). our team name is "Smoke Up, Johnny". TFJ took it upon herself to create logo and screen print it on aprons. Nerdy? Yes. Awsome? Even more so. Happy Saturday all.We'll keep you posted from ATX. Bloody Mary's are flowing, brisket is smoking, all is right with the world.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    sounds fun.   I am in the office working....   blah
    Cookin in Texas
  • Can't wait! See you soon!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Love it. Sounds like a great start to a greater day.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Can't wait! See you soon!

packing up now.@lakewade is already there (he has the blow up pool with the palm tree and monkey. Be there in 15-20
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    We'll have to change TFJ to Calamity Janelle after today. Wish I could be there!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I was wondering if/when this thread was gonna surface...once again, sounds like too much fun for the Central Texas crowd as long as you stop just short of the "I would have to rally to die" line :)  Dang-have a great Fest. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    I was wondering if/when this thread was gonna surface...once again, sounds like too much fun for the Central Texas crowd as long as you stop just short of the "I would have to rally to die" line :)  Dang-have a great Fest. 

one of my favorite lines of all time.I hope I heed that warning. Early signs are not looking positive.........
  • and maybe the best part was the guy who was committed to helping me learn to use my egg had a buddy from Italy who was going to teach TFJ how to make pizza. Let's just say that did not end well.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

and maybe the best part was the guy who was committed to helping me learn to use my egg had a buddy from Italy who was going to teach TFJ how to make pizza. Let's just say that did not end well.

LOL... Waiting to see a request for bail money.
  • hapster said:
    and maybe the best part was the guy who was committed to helping me learn to use my egg had a buddy from Italy who was going to teach TFJ how to make pizza. Let's just say that did not end well.
    LOL... Waiting to see a request for bail money.

we are safely at home. thank god it was 5 minutes from the house
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Girl_on_Grill Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    well, what a great day. Brisket?.....Meh...Probably better than some but nothing to write home about. The masses seemed to enjoy but all the initiated agreed it was good, not great. @lakewade and his lovely bride brought some crazy good food. Hopefully they will post it. My day was made when the guy next to me kept telling me how to light my egg, how to control temps and even took the time from his busy cook shut my dome while the fire was getting going and telling me "That's how that's how eggs work". Thanks.

I agree that @lakewade and DMWS (Don't Mess With Susan!) put many of us to shame. I was so glad to meet @villageidiot and always happy to see @austinegghead! What a great day and a great community of eggheads!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I need to make a list of Eggfests that I want to get to, I know Austin would be in the top 5.  Sounds like a fun time with mostly good people ;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    double said:
    So VI was cooking next to you ;-)
    No, he was downstream from me .... just the way I like it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    It really was great meeting both of you.
    Didn't know that my Pisano in the booth next to you was trying to teach you how to cook.
    @Girl_on_grill boy did you nail it with my wife.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    It was a fun fest. And lots of really good food and recipes to cook. Bob, Nicki and the regular cast of behind the scenes characters did a wonderful jobs putting this one together
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Taz, it was great meeting you and the family. Welcome to Texas weather. I hope your trip back to Houston was not too painfully wet.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tazcrash said:
    It really was great meeting both of you. Didn't know that my Pisano in the booth next to you was trying to teach you how to cook. @Girl_on_grill boy did you nail it with my wife.
    I loved meeting you and your family! Your wife is great. Hope you all enjoyed Austin!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Cen-Tex- didn't realize that kind of behavior was even a thought at a fest.  Lucky for him you didn't have a handy meat cleaver at the ready.  Dang-that's just too obnoxious.  Some people...Thankfully I have not had that experience.  But I wasn't there so I will refrain from any further comment.  All's well that ends with a recovery phase the next day :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Girl_on_grill boy did you nail it with my wife.

Damn, I guess Austin stayed weird Saturday.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

well, what a great day. Brisket?.....Meh...Probably better than some but nothing to write home about. The masses seemed to enjoy but all the initiated agreed it was good, not great.

@lakewade and his lovely bride brought some crazy good food. Hopefully they will post it. My day was made when the guy next to me kept telling me how to light my egg, how to control temps and even took the time from his busy cook shut my dome while the fire was getting going and telling me "That's how that's how eggs work". Thanks.

You were next to VI =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    ... and I didn't even charge him for the professional advice.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    lousubcap said:
    @Cen-Tex- didn't realize that kind of behavior was even a thought at a fest.  Lucky for him you didn't have a handy meat cleaver at the ready.  Dang-that's just too obnoxious.  Some people...Thankfully I have not had that experience.  But I wasn't there so I will refrain from any further comment.  All's well that ends with a recovery phase the next day :)
    I was visited by "Food Blogger" and his girl friend from somewhere on the west coast at the eggfest. He told me he thought the food was boring in Texas and much better in California. He would not taste my chorizo, said he knew all about ground pork. I love experts who are dumb asses.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • lousubcap said:

recovery mode in full effect. great day. will definitely do that again. who knows, i may even get to light my own egg like a big boy next year.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That's when you want a propane weedburner attached to a big map tank. Why thank you sir but I really find my method works well...whoosh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    egger ave said:

lousubcap said:

I was visited by "Food Blogger" and his girl friend from somewhere on the west coast at the eggfest. He told me he thought the food was boring in Texas and much better in California. He would not taste my chorizo, said he knew all about ground pork. I love experts who are dumb asses.

I would have said "d o u c h e b a good day to you sir".

Quite the thankless endeavor to offer food to someone without "tastebuds".
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    It really was great meeting both of you. Didn't know that my Pisano in the booth next to you was trying to teach you how to cook. @Girl_on_grill boy did you nail it with my wife.
    great to meet you guys too. I think he was just trying to be helpful but he opened my dome and dumped all this lighter fluid stuff all over my lump without even asking. it was flavorless i guess but I know how and prefer to light my own fires. No biggie but it was a little weird. don't mess with anther man's (or in this case, woman's) fire.
    I totally agree. Was it the big guy with the pony tail, and cowboy hat or the other guy? Should have smacked his hand with a hot spatula. 

BTW, the Mrs had such a great time, she might start adopting cooking on our new small and make some veggie dishes for the next eggfest. :-O  Now she just has to fight my 9 year old for it.  

:)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!