Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Plate Setter Lifter

Just came across this.. Seems like a good idea, but I wonder how long it will be before that lifter cracks the plate setter, especially on the XL? Seems like a lot of weight on a small piece of metal.

http://www.dicksonbbq.com/plate-setter-lifter.html

·

Comments

• egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    A cook wa using one at the Texas Eggfest yesterday. It worked great and was well made. No issues according to the cook. On my wish list
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
  • $25. I don't know how much shipping will be to the US since this is in Canada..
    ·
    about the same as the tool. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    I built my own from rebar for ~$4.  Works like a dream.  Styled it up with a handle and everything.  I give them away as presents to my "egg" enhanced friends.  

place.jpg 551.4K
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·
    Eggucator said:
    I built my own from rebar for ~$4.  Works like a dream.  Styled it up with a handle and everything.  I give them away as presents to my "egg" enhanced friends.  

Looks great, thanks for the inspiration!

·
  • Eggucator said:

I love the idea.. You have anymore laying around :)

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Real nice design on this one -- keeps the back of your hand away from the heat coming off the platesetter.  I have never had to remove mine while it was hot, so i wouldn't use this.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    I use a large pair of channel locks
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • A little flat steel and your or a friends welder and it would be a lot cheaper to make and no shipping

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,300
    I use gloves and move quick to a predisposed location.

XLBGE 
    ·
    Eggucator said:

This is amazing lookong

XLBGE 
    ·

Just came across this.. Seems like a good idea, but I wonder how long it will be before that lifter cracks the plate setter, especially on the XL? Seems like a lot of weight on a small piece of metal.

Sorry to make 3 post, but I do not like this set up. Looks cheapo and flimsy.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • RobsgrillRobsgrill Posts: 7
    I've got the plate setter lifter from Dicksonbbq....works like a charm....heavy duty & solid. Well worth the shipping.
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,677
    edited May 2013
    I played with it when I was at Dickson's few weeks ago, it was a very tight fit and I also wondered about the p/s cracking under stress (especially the XL one) because of the single bar under, imho two parallel or v-shaped prongs underneath would be safer.

btw, Dickson bbq is the host of June 1 Toronto Eggfest, all eggcessories will be discounted 20% on site.

@Eggucator, can I be your friend?
    canuckland
    ·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 214
    I use gloves and move quick to a predisposed location.
    Yep.  Gloves work for me too.  Can't dally around tho, just like you said.
    ·
  • RobsgrillRobsgrill Posts: 7
    The plate setter is thick and solid, I'd be very surprised to hear it cracked under stress because of the lifter.........again, it works perfectly fine on my large plate setter.....has a firm hold of it without any play, it actually feels overkill for the large plate setter, which was exactly what I was looking for.......a solid tool.....a solid buy.....worth every penny. I got mine here.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,135
    edited May 2013
    Mickey said:
    I use a large pair of channel locks
    Like Mickey, channel locks on one side and my home made ash rake on the other....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I wonder how many cooks under the influence will burn their knuckles for touching the plate setter. Gloves for me! But the two prong rebar set up actually looks more stable ;)

Claremont, CA - XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

·
  • @Eggucator:  That looks great!  Is that #4 rebar?  What kind of wood did you use for the handle?

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • DIXIEDOGDIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I use gloves too...only time I ever had to pull my setter when it was hot was when I forgot to add wood chips to my firebox....otherwise I haven't needed to.
    ·
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 132
    Remove mine and then it hangs on a hook under my table. Nothing gets dirty or burned.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    ·
  • I found this on the web.. Looks interesting.....

042.jpg 27.7K
    ·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    It is #4.  The handle is maple.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·

I found this on the web.. Looks interesting.....

Love it.  We use this gadget for lifting plate of steamed food from the wok, same principle.

canuckland
    ·
  • Where do you buy such a tool
    ·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
    @EggHeadinFlorida, not sure which tool you're referring to.  We got our plate lifter eons ago, most Chinatown grocery stores carry it.
    canuckland
    ·
  • I found this on the web.. Looks interesting.....

Love it.  We use this gadget for lifting plate of steamed food from the wok, same principle.

this is the one im reffering too..
    ·
  • http://www.dicksonbbq.com/plate-setter-lifter.html
    By far the best out of the bunch!

Check out this other video about how strong it is.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,795
    Robsgrill said:
    By far the best out of the bunch!

Check out this other video about how strong it is.
    Elegant design.  Just had a big steel delivery the other day, I'm gonna weld one up and see how it works!

·