Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Baked Beans - need recipe

I'm looking for a baked bean recipe. Buckinghams BBQ in nixa, mo has awesome beans. They are thick, smokey, and have great BBQ flavor. Can you help me find a great recipe?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2013

Not sure about Nixa, Mo, but if you like sweet these are great with apple pie filling, peach or cherry.  Only one at a time.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=869043&catid=1

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@pagman seems to be the resident expert on baked beans.  Here is his recipe...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149958/apple-smoked-maple-syrup-baked-beans#latest

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    I once did a recipe I found on amazing ribs.com and liked them very much.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    edited April 2013
    2 TBS Yellow Mustard
    Heaping cup of diced onion
    1/2 cup of honey
    2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar (light or dark)
    2 cups ketchup
    1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
    2 TBS your favorite rub
    2 TBS Worchestshire Sauce
    1TBS minced garlic

Mix all the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl

Then add:

2 15oz cans of pork n beans
    1 can of butter beans (drained)
    1 can of chili beans (hot or mild you preference)
    1 can light red kidney beans (drained)
    1 can of Great Northern beasn (drained)

Mix very gently gently and pour into a 13x9 pan (stoneware is great if you have it)
    or my favorite way to cook is a CI Dutch Oven on the Egg

If you have some pulled pork or some brisket throw in a couple of handfuls.

If you do in the oven, do them at 375 uncovered, if you do them on the egg have the dome temp at 400 and use a platesetter legs down.  Cook for about an hour, until they are bubbly around the sides and starting to thicken. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Check this one out:

http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305.html

Best Barbecued Beans on the Planet
    printer-ready version

Method: indirect grilling
    Serves: 12 to 16

• 1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers
    • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
    • 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
    • 3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans
    • 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
    • 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
    • 1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 3 to 6 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (for hotter beans, leave the seeds in)
    • 2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)
    • 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, or more to taste
    • 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste
    • 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional; see Note)
    • Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

You'll also need:
    1 large (turkey-size) or 2 medium-size aluminum foil pans; 2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably pecan or hickory) soaked for 1 hour in hot water to cover, then drained.

1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, saving a few tablespoons for the beans, if desired.

2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and add the onion, bell and poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapenos and stir to mix. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, if using, and brisket or fried bacon and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful. Transfer the bean mixture to the aluminum foil pan or pans. (If you used bacon, you can drizzle a few tablespoons of bacon fat over the beans for extra flavor.)

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-low, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

4. When ready to cook, place the pan of beans in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the beans until they are thick and richly flavored, about 1 hour. If the beans start to dry out, cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the beans from the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes, then serve.

Note: If you cook the beans in a gas grill, you probably won't be able to generate enough smoke for a strong wood flavor. Add the liquid smoke in this case.

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    I cook my beans on the plate setter (legs up) in a foil pan while I cook my meat.  I let the juices from the meat add flavor to the beans.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    1 lb bacon cut into 1" pieces Large Sam's Club size can of Bush's Baked Beans drained 1 lb dark brown sugar Large onion chopped coarse Mix all ingredients and put in 9x13 or larger sprayed baking dish Bake 350* for 1.5 - 2 hours. These are the bomb and very easy.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

This isn't from scratch, but what i use, and always have people wanting to know the recipe.

1   pound of bacon cooked crispy and then diced

2   28 ounce cans Bush's Baked Beans, drain all the liquid off the top of the beans.

1/2  cup of Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)

1   pound smoked leftover pork, or beef, or 1 pound crumbled pork sausage

1   can of chopped peach pie filling 

2   medium onions, chopped

1   green pepper, chopped

1/4 cup of brown sugar

2   tbls. Worcestershire sauce

2   tbls. mustard (prepared)

1   teaspoon rub ( your favorite)

Brown bacon, saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Bake at 325 degrees for one hour, then simmer on stove top in a large pot for 30 minutes, if you don't have time to do them in the oven.  Serves twelve. 

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I am cooking the recipe BigWader posted right now, will post a follow-up tonight.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    OK, finished the beans. It's a good recipe and I'd do it again. You could certainly complicate things with more ingredients, but I have no complaints. Except that I can't move. In fact after the beans and the burger that I made when the beans came off the BGE, I can't really feel my legs. 

I added a few ounces of chorizo to the recipe, since I had some, and when has more pork ever hurt? I also used bacon instead of salt pork, and half maple syrup to half brown sugar. 

I did notice that during the simmer step I lost enough water that I had to top off a couple of times from the kettle. I don't know why the recipe called for uncovered simmering, which would have prevented that. 

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    edited April 2013
    Duganboy.....tried your recipe yesterday....it was very good....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I make the one @stlcharcoal posted and get asked for the recipe by someone every time I make it. It is one of the best I've made. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I just found this bean post. Making one or a combination of these recipes next week. I really like the sound of the one @Charlie tuna shared. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Here's my "go to" recipe
    1. 8 slices bacon, halved
    2. 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
    3. 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into small dice
    4. 3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
    5. 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
    6. 1/2 cup brown sugar
    7. 1/4 cup distilled or cider vinegar
    8. 2 teaspoons dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon
    Pan fry bacon until half cooked. Saute onion/pepper in a little bacon fat, stir it all together and top with par-cooked bacon. Put it on the grill for a couple hours LS or in the oven
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    All these recipes sound very good.  I'd suggest adding a can of drained pineapple chunks.  I do that with mine and it's the one ingredient almost everyone comments on.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    edited May 2016
    2 1/2 16oz beans
    1 can pie filling (is 20oz size? the one you use )
    3 mixed peppers
    1/3rd can jalapeno 
    1/3rd onion
    1/3rd pound hot pork sausage

smoke the sausage and the pepper/onion mixture. Mix in the apple pie filling and also the drained beans. It is a very sweet, but with a following of heat, that makes people take notice.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    The Mrs does this fairly simply-
    Fry 1/2 pack bacon
    Remove bacon and crumble
    Use quality bread tear into small peices and add to bacon grease until absorbed
    Add Crumbled bacon
    Pour (2) cans of Bushs baked beans into flat baking dish- 9x13ish
    top with mixture made above
    Bake 30 min
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Webass said:
    All these recipes sound very good.  I'd suggest adding a can of drained pineapple chunks.  I do that with mine and it's the one ingredient almost everyone comments on.
    That sounds interesting! I'll definitely try
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

Check this one out:

http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305.html

Best Barbecued Beans on the Planet
    printer-ready version

Method: indirect grilling
    Serves: 12 to 16

• 1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers
    • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
    • 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
    • 3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans
    • 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
    • 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
    • 1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 3 to 6 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (for hotter beans, leave the seeds in)
    • 2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)
    • 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, or more to taste
    • 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste
    • 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional; see Note)
    • Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

You'll also need:
    1 large (turkey-size) or 2 medium-size aluminum foil pans; 2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably pecan or hickory) soaked for 1 hour in hot water to cover, then drained.

1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, saving a few tablespoons for the beans, if desired.

2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and add the onion, bell and poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapenos and stir to mix. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, if using, and brisket or fried bacon and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful. Transfer the bean mixture to the aluminum foil pan or pans. (If you used bacon, you can drizzle a few tablespoons of bacon fat over the beans for extra flavor.)

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-low, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

4. When ready to cook, place the pan of beans in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the beans until they are thick and richly flavored, about 1 hour. If the beans start to dry out, cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the beans from the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes, then serve.

Note: If you cook the beans in a gas grill, you probably won't be able to generate enough smoke for a strong wood flavor. Add the liquid smoke in this case.

This recipe is awesome