Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veggies cook help?

Options
Having friends over tonight. Cooking a flak steak and pepper onions . We also want to cook some veggies. Broccoli, squash, zucchini . I have a basket for them. How long approximately? Raised or normal?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Also. Just salt and pepper? Olive oil at all?

Garnerville, NY
  • smokinsooner
    Options

Raised...350, until tender... (about 30 minutes)

I dust the veggies with Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin rub and throw them on... no olive oil needed.

BOOMER!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Direct raised at 350-400.  They will take longer than you think, and should go on before the steak.  Stir every 10-15 minutes, with a spray of Pam.  Be aware that the top of the basket, not the bottom, cooks more (unless you have a really hot flame).

I like sea salt, ground pepper, and if I'm not too lazy, crushed garlic.  You can season heavily because most is lost, but don't over pepper.

Alternately, put in an aluminum pan with cheese and crushed tomatoes, covered with foil.  These can loiter a long time.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I try to marinate my veggies by coating them and again tossing them in some Italian Salad Dressing.  Timing is important because these can not be rushed, and you have the rest of the meal to cook....
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Cooked them at 350 raised for about 40 minutes with some Tsunami Spin.  Came out OK.  Peppers and Onions came out great though.  Got to work on the veggies more.

Thanks All

Garnerville, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    +1 on the Italian dressing - or Asian Toasted Sesame - on future cooks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    i was going to ask the same question robnybbq!! i just bought a basket doin some ribs today, the veggies with be peppers,mushrooms,brocolli,brussle sprouts. going to try CT's idea with italian dressing. thanks everyone for info.(love this forum!!) =D>
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    The Brussels sprouts do particularly well with Asian dressing.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Part of the veggie selection problem is finding things that cook in about the same time, unless your OK with some being slightly "crunchy".  Or someone posted about partially cooking some veggies in the micro partially so they would finish at the same time??
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Another thing i was considering????  These veggies that they call "steamer packages" always come out perfect in the micro, and some of the veggies are blanched or pre-cooked, like the green beans or carrots, maybe they are "blanched" --  but i want to try a few bags if these in my egg's veggie cooker just to see what happens??
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    I  tried the coat with Italian Dressing before cooking and I had the best veggies I've ever done. The taste of the dressing wasn't very noticeable after cooking but the veggies didn't char as bad or taste as smoky. They looked better and tasted better. I'm glad I tried it. My thanks to the Tuna.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Recently, i marinated in "Balcamic Vinaigrette" salad dressing by Wishbone and was very good.