Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late Butt

Well that didnt work out as planned, had a final for the kids guitar and singing, figured maybe 2 hours at max, nope, 4 1/2 hours... Got home and rubbed butt, had it on quick, by 12:15 a.m. temp stabalized quick, will monitor till 1 and then hit the fart sac. Promissed the guys I would drop off some lunch for them tomorrow at the shop. Plan was to have it on at 9 tonight.

8lb butt, cooking at 250 dome, looks like 215 or so grid. Im not sure if it will be done by lunch, its only my 3rd butt. From what I have been seeing I think i can foil and turn up the heat tomorrow if needed???

Rubbed with a mix this time, Bad Bryons, and then a touch of DP Swamp Venom. Apple wood chunks for a bit of smoke.

Few rums, make sure temp stays, and im outa here. Hope every one is having a good weekend. (OT - I finally have some snow gone, couldnt wait so i did a few strips with the mower yesterday while having a rum or two, good to see some grass again, hope to maybe get a an hour or so of cutting in tomorrow)

imageimage
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    I'd bump temp to 300*.  You will still get good bark.  Better to be done early so you can FTC for an hour or two. 
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Foil it if you need to. It will power it through the normal stall. And increase temp. I am hoping the snow is about gone in Winnipeg too before I go back for work soon.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Just woke up to the maverick, egg dropped below 200, went out and stoked the fire a bit, I think i will try and do rest of cook at 300. IT is sitting at 153. Should I foil or just see how the stall plays out in a bit? Would like it done in 4 - 5 hours to drop off for the guys.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Bump temp up to 300 grate temp. Make a judgement call after 2 hours
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • AlbertaEgger
    Will do, thanks Chubbs.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Forty five minutes is not enough, after placing the butt in the egg, to consider it "stabilized" enough to turn your back on it.  That 8 pound --- 40 degree -- chunk of meat you dropped in the egg places a large "heat load" on your egg.  The butt has to start cooking -- smoking before your vent adjustment are correct -- at first it looks like everything is fine, but slowly that "heat load" takes it's toll on the inside temperature of the egg -- then when it finally settles out you lost 25 to 35 degrees...
  • AlbertaEgger
    I stayed up till 2 watching it, temp stayed where I wanted it. Didn't drop till early this morning, 7 hours into the cook, seems like a common occurance with me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm cleaning fully before re loading new lump.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Two solutions: Get a temperature contoller or learn how to "turbo cook"..
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I'm in the "make sure the BGE is stable before loading the meat" crowd-change nothing then load and give it an hour and you are good to go.  I make sure and give it an hour or so with no change in vent settings before starting the cook.  Overnighter's are no issue (w/o a controller).  Just light it up early. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Went 7 hours stable. I think my fire grate is plugging up again. I have vents almost wide open. Grid sitting at 277, stired thhe fire a bit and tried to free up some holes, but I think it is still plugged up some. This is what happened last butt.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Just into the stall now at 162, I will try and keep grid at 300 once there, and hope its done in 3 or 4 hours. Not sure...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    Grab a coathanger and cut it leaving about three inches in an L shape and the other side long. Stick it in the lower vent and find the holes in your grate. Stick it into each of the holes and wiggle it around. That will give you some airflow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    Went 7 hours stable. I think my fire grate is plugging up again. I have vents almost wide open. Grid sitting at 277, stired thhe fire a bit and tried to free up some holes, but I think it is still plugged up some. This is what happened last butt.
    I cooked my last butt at 250 deg dome temp.  It stablized after a couple of hours and did not move more than 2 degrees for about 18 hours (without a controller). I did not believe it could be so stable.  Before the cook I cleaned the egg good and used all new lump. I filled the lump to the top of the fire ring. I think cleaning the egg and using all new lump was the difference for me. After I lite the lump I do not touch the lump again.  I did not want to move it around and change the spaces between the large lumps and change the air flow.  After I put the meat on I did not open the egg again for more than 15 hours.
    Columbia, SC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Alberta... Foil it and bump to 350.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with @sarivers- a bit of work on the front end but once you are off and running, then it's a hands-off ride.  But don't tell SWMBO :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    sarivers said:
    I cooked my last butt at 250 deg dome temp.  It stablized after a couple of hours and did not move more than 2 degrees for about 18 hours (without a controller). I did not believe it could be so stable.  Before the cook I cleaned the egg good and used all new lump. I filled the lump to the top of the fire ring. I think cleaning the egg and using all new lump was the difference for me. After I lite the lump I do not touch the lump again.  I did not want to move it around and change the spaces between the large lumps and change the air flow.  After I put the meat on I did not open the egg again for more than 15 hours.

Agreed, this is what I did, new lump and everything. My vent holes  were deffinetly pugged, I have cleaned them out a few times now.
  • AlbertaEgger
    henapple said:
    Alberta... Foil it and bump to 350.
    Sitting at 257 grid, IT is at 194, so I think I will leave it for another 45 min or so... I dont recall how the last 10 deg or so work out for timing, I will check it in a bit and see how loose the bone is.
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    When I give my egg a good cleaning before a long cook I take out the fire ring and fire pot.  A lot of ash can get behind the fire pot. 
    Columbia, SC

• AlbertaEgger

Soooo...., turned out great, I still need to figure out what i am doing wrong for the fire plate vents plugging up all the time, new lump, clean egg, larger lump on bottom... It still was done on time so thanks to all for the tips and support as always, I did not foil but did have to bring temp up to 300F to get the butt done on time, the coat hanger trick also helped out, i could see how plugged up the holes were. Thanks Little Steven. Pulled at 205, FTC'd and delivered to shop, bone came clean out, and was very moist.

Shop guys LOVED it, need to keep everyone happy,  they really appreciated it.

I had a taste of the bark and a small sandwich before I left, and I liked the rub mix. Wifes home made sauce was a hit as well. Brought them lots.

Home in time to get a full lawn "trim" in, last week I still had the entire front, or 2/3 full of snow. Front lawn is in good shape concidering the late thaw, and amount of snow we had, I think it will come in good this year. It was a good day. Hope all had a good weekend.

imageimageimage
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice view and cook
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @AlbertaEgger- the cook looks very strong. As for your clogging issues you might consider the HighQ grate. I run a large and have had no clogging issues since I put the HighQ in.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • AlbertaEgger
    henapple said:
    Nice view and cook

Thanks henapple, trees should be turning soon. Cant wait.
  • AlbertaEgger
    @AlbertaEgger- the cook looks very strong. As for your clogging issues you might consider the HighQ grate. I run a large and have had no clogging issues since I put the HighQ in.
    Mattman, I did hear about those before, no idea where to get one, will look into it. I was not sure I would need one, i think i must be doing something wrong, i light from the middle, everything else is as I have read, and makes sense. Not sure what else to try, so i will look at it. Thanks.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @AlbertaEgger- I generally light in 1 spot as well with no issues now.i could still be doing something wrong but somehow the HighQ seems to right it. Here is where I got the grate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XU1FES/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367199971&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.