Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon N Pork Kabobs on the Weber Kettle (Pix O'Plenty)

KETTLE???  Is this the EGGhead Forum?  Yeah, but my XL did not arrive on Friday as hoped and kabobs with my metal skewers are too long for the small & mini.  Time to break out my trusty old friend the kettle and I decided to play with the Smokenator.  That's the thing in the kettle on the left.

I shamelessly stole this recipe from the BBQ Pit Boys (thank you!).  I used Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  I made a marinade of EVOO, lemon juice, garlic and red pepper flake and swabbed the pork liberally.  I let the pork marinade while I got things started outside.  The Kingsford is the last bag from my stash of briquettes. Starting the Smokenator, theres 48 unlit briquettes in there and 12 burning in the chimney. Once they're ready, you dump the 12 in the Smokenator, add any wood (apple's my favorite) and install the water bath and grid.

It's time to pre-cook the bacon.  You cook them about "half way" if that makes sense.

You noticed I forgot the drip pan, eh?  Good thing the kettle come equipped with one!

I snagged the thermo off the small because I couldn't find the old one I used with the kettle.  Nice assist small!  The Smokenator keeps the temp rock steady at 250 unless the water bath boils away.

Pulled the bacon and cut them in half.  Time for assembly.  The pork cubes (3/4" - 1") were wrapped in a half piece of bacon and stuck on the skewer.  Kroger had 1/2" chops so I wrapped 2 in every piece of bacon.  Then a wedge of sweet onion, zuchini and lastly a button mushroom (without stem).  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Into the grill they go!

They cooked indirect for about 45 minutes or so.  Sous Chef Elaine was riding her little bike around not happy about how little it got.  Her birthday is next week and she'll get an upgrade then!

She was helping me police my empties.  I was feeling nostalgic and thinking about my Dad, so I bought PBR.

This was just before I pulled them off.  There's no money shot because everyone was hungry!

They were GUUUUDD!

Flint, Michigan

Comments