Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can Butt rest in cooler or..,

Smoked two 7 lb butts today, currently at 185, will take off at 195. Tired, long day chasing around kids... What is the minimum rest time before I pull OR how long can it stay in cooler if I pull early AM? Thanks

Comments

• I've never gone this long, but I've heard on here as long as 5 hours in the cooler.  IMO If you're not eating until tomorrow, pull the pork now and re-heat tomorrow.  Ideally, it's best to time it so the pork is done , pulled and served on the same day.  I don't pull mine until right before serving, but I've never finished one this late.
    Flint, Michigan
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I've kept no.d in the cooler for 4 hours before.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I read on naked whiz's site it was like five hours.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    No this isn't pork but I had brisket sit in the cooler tightly wrapped up in foil and lots of towels with another brisket wrapped the same way for 9 hours.  Came out and the thing was still piping hot.
    Large BGE

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    I've done 6 and it was still steaming hot...so I'd feel good stretching that to 7 or 8 hrs.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • I had one two weeks ago that sat 6-1/2 and was still steaming hot. I am pretty sure that wouldn't pass board of health minimum temps but it was still plenty hot.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would not want to "pull" it until it was about to be served.  You will not know the difference if you re-heat the entire butt up the next day , then pull it just before serving.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    EddieK76 said:
    No this isn't pork but I had brisket sit in the cooler tightly wrapped up in foil and lots of towels with another brisket wrapped the same way for 9 hours.  Came out and the thing was still piping hot.
    I FTC a Brisket for over 8 hours too and it was hot and moist.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Sy71
    Sy71 Posts: 27
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Foiled and cooler at midnight. 6 hours later hot, pulled and ready for lunch. Good advice, thanks forum!
  • I kept 2 8-lb briskets for 8 hours and it was as if they just came off the grill. I used a Yeti cooler, i.e. use the best cooler you have. Also, I filled any dead space in the cooler with extra towels. It is best to start with a warm cooler.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Alton said:
    EddieK76 said:
    I FTC a Brisket for over 8 hours too and it was hot and moist.
    Yeah mine as ridiculously juicy as well....
    Large BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Also good to put in a couple of heated wrapped firebricks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Agree with @Charlie Tuna pull it then reheat an hour prior to serving.  Pull right before serving.  If I have had it to 200F previously (pork or brisket) I have found the following to work:

Put the shoulder/brisket/butt in a pan and cover with foil.  Put in a cold oven and set at 400F.  The meat warms along with the oven so the natural juices return slowly.  In 60 min (45 at the least) it will be piping hot and ready to pull.  Bon Appetit.  
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    edited April 2013
  • I kept 2 8-lb briskets for 8 hours and it was as if they just came off the grill. I used a Yeti cooler, i.e. use the best cooler you have. Also, I filled any dead space in the cooler with extra towels. It is best to start with a warm cooler.

Which Yeti did you use? I have the 45qt and the Roadie 20qt. Yeti is the best out there IMHO!!
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!