Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Big Green Egg - any difference in holding temp?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been reading this forum with interest. I think I want an egg mostly for low and slow cooking. Would a small egg work hold temp as well as a medium? (the cost difference may mean the difference between wife approval and veto ...) Thanks.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    chris-pre-egg,[p]sure. the principal for all eggs is the same. The question is, how many are you planning to feed on a regular basis, what are your cooking intentions, etc?[p]For example, if you are a family of 4 that like hosting holidays, you oughta bit the bullet and hit the large. [p]However, if you're two people that don't entertain, the small might be perfect for you.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    chris-pre-egg,[p]Although I have a sm/lg combo...[p]From what I can tell...yes!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Chubby,
    how long does the small burn at 250 with a full load. i have the large and the small but have never really done a long cook (longer than 8 hours) with it. i know the large can go close to 40 with the right lump, but have never seen a comparison of time for full loads comparing the different sized eggs.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I've only compared lumps in the large. I've never loaded the small to find out. maybe I'll do that this weekend...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    my guess is that with the wgc you could manage 16-18 hours in the small, which cuts things close on some cooks.ill have to try some day.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    fishlessman[p]I've never past the 12 hour mark...thenm again...I wasn't trying to.[p]I think you may be right on 16-18 hours...fully loaded.(with a good sealing dome).[p]It would be fun to see the comparison of all sizes!![p]Are you listening Whiz??
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    chris-pre-egg,[p]I think it will hold temp just like any of the eggs, but if low ad slow is your interest, the medium is a much better choice. There is no plate setter for the small, and the grill extender doesn't fit. To me these are two great tools. There are guys building custom parts and even selling them, but the original equipment is what I prefer.[p]The other thing is, a long cook is usually a time when you want to cook a good amount of meat. A decent sized brisket won't fit in a small, and frankly you better not get too big of a butt. Once again, some guys can cook for 50 on a small, but I like to leave a little room for things to breathe.[p]It's a long term investment, I say get the medium.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Moldy Coyote
    Options
    chris-pre-egg,[p]I snagged a medium off e-Bay a couple of years ago, and feel it's the best cooking investment I've made. Since it's just my wife and I, we can do Low N' Slo', TRex steaks or whatever. When we have others over there is so many options, it's mind staggering! I feel a small is a perfect compliment to a large, but as a primary cooker I would opt for the medium, if not a large.[p]David

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    try and go for the large. my wife hates the look of the egg. I nagged her until she caved. Sold the Weber. I don;t think I ever told her there was a smaller one. Once your wife tastes the food it doesn't make any difference you are home free. I dealer I know who has infared grills etc at his home cooks on the egg. His wife cooks on the other grills. She hates the look of the egg (my wife and her are soul mates) she doesn;t any grilling anymore because of the egg. She loves the food.
  • Thanks everyone for great information - amazing to get so much response to my question - if anyone experiments this weekend, I'd like to know any results.
    Thanks again