Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placesetter Cracked

Options
After grilling chicken, I went to put my placesetter on top of the hot grate and shut the egg down.

The placesetter cracked in half instantly (Must have been the heat difference as I set it down very gently).

I have a 17" heavy duty stainless drip pan and a spyder from Tom @ The Ceramic Grill Store.

I'm going to see if this will work as a placesetter replacement.  It seems like all that is really needed is a separation
from the fire....I'm betting the thermal mass of the placesetter is less important.

Frankly, the placesetter is a pita, so I'm not really sad it broke.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Going to need more mass then just a stainless drip pan if you truly want to do indirect cooks. Probably need to order a stone from Tom if you despise the plate setter that much.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Call BGE up and see if it covered under warranty.. Im sure it will be.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    3 yr warranty on that platesetter. You may not like it but it shouldn't cost you a thing for a replacement.

The drip pan will likely warp on you at higher heat (mine has when I've tried it) which isn't great when it is catching drippings. At least my pan returned to shape upon cooling.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I just had my platesetter replaced under warranty last week.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Mine also split down the middle several years ago. If you're past the warranty, you can JB Weld it together, but it won't hold above 400f.  I use a Weber replacement grid (~$15) on the fire ring, with the broken plate setter legs up on that, then the BGE grid.  Has worked fine for a long time.
    Mamaroneck
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Mine also split in half. Egg and PS were cool, was just lifting it out to access fire box for new cook. Lifted it out one handed and it split. Took it down to my dealer and he replaced it on the spot. About one year old.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    You have a good dealer!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My dealer replaced mine without a hitch. The initially didn't know about the 3 year warranty. They called BGE, were told to replace it, and did just that.
    Mark Annville, PA