Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork butt is rolling (pictures as we go)!

At long last, the first pork butt cook is underway!  I'm at ~300 dome, slightly raised grid, two butts rubbed down with Bone Sucking pork rub, apple wood smoking away.  Butts went on about 9:30 and are currently around 130 internal.  Only interesting thing so far is that my apple wood chunks (about 5 slightly-smaller-than fist sized pieces) burned up in the first two hours and all my smoke turned clear.  No worries....pulled the grid, lifted out the PS and dumped on a few more chunks....back to nice white smoke!  I'll post more as the day goes on.  Planning to foil at 160.

imageimage

Comments

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    well, looks like I'm just writing to myself here () :)) but I'll keep it going anyway.  Came out fairly excellent, though a little more dry than I expected.  I pulled it at 202.  Maybe I should have taken it off a little sooner - I noticed there wasn't much pink meat.  I also left it FTC for about three hours, which may have been too long.  In the end, though, pretty good.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Man tough crowd.

Good looking cook bud!

XLBGE 
  • ddegger
    Thanks - was admiring your hot dog pics earlier....slow day on the forum today (too nice outside most places to be messing with posts)....
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Looks delish! Doing a butt tomorrow.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Well we've got a slow day here. On and off rain, had a birthday party for one f my little girls friends at 2pm, that kind of killed egging something extreme.

This mornig was pretty, had a breakfast date with my girls and then a walk around downtown and trip to farmers market >:D<

XLBGE 
  • ddegger
    Can't beat it!  My son got his first egging lesson today - helped me with the rub and at steps throughout the day, then helped me prepare it tonight.  He kept stopping what he was doing during the cook to come out and ask if he could take a look!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The butt looks awesome!! As far as the dry, I can't help out as I have never foiled a butt. I have either done low and slow or Nitro at 350 all the way thru.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @ddegger - did you have much liquid in the foil after foiling at 160 and FTC?  I've had up to 3 cups of liquid, and my most recent butt had very little liquid, pretty much same times, and was dryer than normal but still good.  I guess each piece of meat is different.  Any liquid I have in the foil goes right back over the pulled pork.
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Nice looking butts... And you're right. Today was insanely beautiful.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Great Cook!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • ddegger
    @Tjcoley - yes, at the end of the cook I probably had at least a half cup in the foil of each butt. Unfortunately, all of it spilled in the transfer :(( . Wasn't too concerned - figured I'd pick up a lot more in the cooler, but didn't happen. These butts were pretty lean, which may be why I didn't get them as juicy as expected.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    3 on right now.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Think you will find it starts pulling back in the sauce at the rest in butt box. Nice pulled pork.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    They look great.  I think if they did not take so long to cook I would cook one every weekend.  I usually take about 2.3 hours per pound.  I haven't cooked one that high yet.  I cook mine at 250 deg F. according to the dome thermometer.  They take a long time but have been very moist.  I took the last one off at an internal temp of 210.  Your bark looks much better than mine did.  Mine did not get that dark. 
    Columbia, SC

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks great. I start checking the bone at 195IT. If bone slides out without resistance, no need to go >200.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like your first pulled pork was a success. I am with @Chubbs and start checking at 195 with my therms pen when it slides in like butter it is ready. 197 or so is when I've taken the last couple off. Yesterday was really nice here in Oklahoma so I spent it outside. =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.