Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo. . Sold

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Cut 2 8 lb butts in half and cooked 3. One in the freezer, one to a friend and 2 for me. On at 10 am till 12:30 at 160. Foiled till 205 at 2pm. Unbelievable... Bark and taste. I won't do another all night butt. Literally the best ive done. Baked potatoes,, butter, sour cream, cheese then pulled pork and bone sacking sauce. Is it wrong to go to bed at 7?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good. I like the turbo, but also like low and slow.  =D>
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nothing wrong at all about bed at 7, I was thinking the same thing. The butts look great!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options

@henapple: just did my first turbo butt today too, came out pretty well.  I'm curious: you say that you foiled until 205?  I foiled until about 201-202, but mine came out a little more dry and tough than I expected.  Don't get me wrong...still really good - I'd give it a solid 8.  But not the best I've had. I was thinking that I might have overcooked it a bit.  I left it FTC for almost 3 hours, and maybe it continued cooking too much in there?  Did you FTC after you pulled it?  If so, for how long?

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

Looks good. I like the turbo, but also like low and slow.  =D>

Turbo is awesome, but I did my last butt a little slower. Just something about getting away and tending the egg.

I use this rule of thumb, when does the butt need to be done?

Understanding the laws of turbo physics, (or posting a quick question for timing help :) ) you can adjust your heat to help with timing. I'm doing a butt this week and will do it slow because I want to put it on when I leave for work, ad make any foiling needed when I get home 8 hours later.

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Feeling full just hearing about it. Wouldn't mind one of those baked potatoes myself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Way to go. Why stay up at night.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Ok, that's it I am going to turbo my next butt!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • henapple
    Options
    ddegger said:

@henapple: just did my first turbo butt today too, came out pretty well.  I'm curious: you say that you foiled until 205?  I foiled until about 201-202, but mine came out a little more dry and tough than I expected.  Don't get me wrong...still really good - I'd give it a solid 8.  But not the best I've had. I was thinking that I might have overcooked it a bit.  I left it FTC for almost 3 hours, and maybe it continued cooking too much in there?  Did you FTC after you pulled it?  If so, for how long?

I hit 160 and foiled... Checked with thermopen at 190.... The next check was 202-205 in different roast. I coolered it for 4 hrs.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Wow!  Cooler for four hours...so I guess that wasn't my problem.  I noticed that I did two butts - one came out fantastic, but the other one was the drier one that I mentioned.  Could be that I just got a butt that wasn't as good. 
  • henapple
    Options
    I'm not a butt expert... Lol. Did you measure both temps? Was the dry one tender?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I like to spray with 50/50 apple juice and cider vinegar every 30-45 minutes and then spray heavy right before foiling. Haven't had a dry butt yet.

BTW.... Nice butt Henapple

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I did my first turbo butt today as well...foiled at 160, went to the cooler at 203 for 2 hours, tender and juicy.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    What temp was the Egg?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks like this was Turbo Butt weekend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    A downside to the turbo method-think of all the adult supervisory beverages that didn't get consumed. :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

An important issue of "turbo butt cooking" is starting out slow --  as low as you can maintain while applying maximum smoke to the butts.  I use pecan, and get two good solid hours of smoke on them!  My minimum maintainable cooking temperature is 225 degree grid.  Remember, after about two hours of cooking the butt is basically sealed, and more smoke isn't going to improve the taste.  The two hour mark usually has my internal temperature arounf 125 degrees, so it takes another hour or so to hit 160 internal degrees.  What ever - DON'T wrap it in foil until you reach 160 degrees or more, because from my experience, the butt will not pull properly, some of it will pull and some will be like you cooked for a roast(tough)...   Three reasons to wrap the butt at 160 degrees:

To catch all the juices which is flavor and will be mixed back into the pulled pork

The butt will cook twice as fast

The butt will sail right thru the stall period

I inject my butts with Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade -----  NO !  Your butt will not taste like "Teriyaki"!!   And the butt will only absorb about a half bottle(12 ounces) of the marinade, so you'll get two butts per bottle.  And since i inject my butts, i cook them to 210 degrees internal and never had a dry butt .  Remove the butt at 210 degrees and place it in a small cooler for at least an hour.  Open it up carefully(steam) and pull it within the foiled package it was cooked in, and mix the pulled pork back into the juices -- then put it in a serving dish......

:(( :(( :-/
  • henapple
    Options
    lousubcap said:

A downside to the turbo method-gthink of all the adult supervisory beverages that didn't get consumed. :)

Not necessarily... Just throw some more food on. At least tell the wife something else is on.

@ Duganboy.. I .went straight 350. Maple and cherry. My wife isn't crazy about heavy smoke. I will know more today. It's hard to gauge the smoke after sitting in it all day.

On another topic... Is it wrong to use your ftc towel after you shower?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    "Is it wrong to use your ftc towel after you shower?"

That depends on what aroma SWMBO prefers. It would be wrong in my house.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX