Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL Assembly Frustration

Has anyone run into this? I had to replace my bands, hinges, springs etc.... on the XL. It's completely different animal from the Large. Everything is in place, perfectly lined up.... but the top spring brackets on each of the side link bars keeps shifting back towards the spring when I close the dome. It is also pulling the dome further back on the base, creating a gap on the front of the egg. And it's pulling so tight, the fromt of the dome doesn't sit on the base when closed.

Any insight will be appreciated.

BOOMER!
·

Comments

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,018
    edited April 2013
    Without the springs attached, lime up dome where it should be and have the side nuts on the top loose. Lift the dome until you feel the shift. Close dome and use a wrench on the top band bolt to push the dome forward on the base. Tighten the nuts on the sides, then open and attach the springs.

It's been a while since I assembled mine, but I think I've got it all correct. The springs are only there to make opening the egg easier.

You.may need a person in front to hold the egg base so it doesn't shift when pushing with the wrench.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Hit YouTube
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 426
    edited April 2013

What do you mean by "You.may need a person in front to hold the egg base so it doesn't shift when pushing with the wrench"

Also, is the top and bottom half of the egg supposed to line up perfect? I have about 1/8"-1/4" over hang. Ive tried the above method, but it still sits the same..

·
  • I'm taking notes because this will be my issue next week.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • North_Is_UpNorth_Is_Up Posts: 123
    It doesn't sound like the bands are tight. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
    XL BGE w/CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    North Tahoe, CA
    ·
  • Deal lol.
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 340
    had same problem with mine. the clips that the spring goes in with the long slot fits on outside of bar  and offsets in not out.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • North_Is_UpNorth_Is_Up Posts: 123
    I've attached two photos of my XL from behind. I hope these help. Let me know if you need other shots. 

I recently replaced my gasket under warranty, but I slightly adjusted the bands and tightened them up.

Spring:

Bands:
    XL BGE w/CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    North Tahoe, CA
    ·