Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Saturday Cook...

hapsterhapster Posts: 6,381
Thinking about doing an entire fish... Any thoughts or recommendations?
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,249
    was watching an old iron chef earlier and morimoto did one in a salt shell (encased in kosher salt).  seen it done with chickens on here before but I think the fish would be cool.  also i remeber seeing steve raichlen. do quite a few on BBQ U so that may be a good starting point.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Many years ago -- gasser days -- i used to do whole Red Snapper, and i would fill the gill area and stomach cavities with a crabmeat stuffing, baste it with garlic butter, gave it "the toothpick test"..  Hard to beat!  I used to run a big seafood store, and i had this Italian women come in once a week and buy a big snapper(7 to 8 pounds) and wanted it whole, with the gills removed.  I asked her for her recipe, and i tried it!!!  
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Damn Charlie that sounds good!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,381
    Thanks. Don't think I'll have the time for a salt crust. Thinking along the lines of what Charlie suggested
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    Just a head's up. Many years ago I had an Asian friend who when we went out for seafood would order something like Red Snapper or Yellowtail whole and if the restaurant was 'fancy' as the meal was winding down the waiter would come by and attempt to take the fish carcass. My friend would stop him in order to finish his meal, which would end with what he termed the best part, the head. Sweetest meat on the fish he would say. 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Grouper also works well along with yellowtail, which is from the snapper family.  When i didn't have a big enough snapper, she would take a grouper.  A seven to eight pound snapper is almost three foot long??  Thats why i asked her for the recipe...  I would cut three or four slits across the side on an angle to let the steam out of the fish.  The presentation is awsome!!  And i was suprised how easy it was to serve.  The fillet came right off with a spatchula, then lift the backbone out and you have the other fillet, and plenty of the crabmeat stuffing..
    ·
    Thanks guys

Went with 2lbs of wild caught Red Grouper. Picked up a large CI skillet to cook them in. Will be making a mango salsa to top them with.

Probably going with some asparagus and a salad as sides.
    ·
    Here's the mango salsa. Gonna let it get happy for a few hours.

image.jpg 612.9K
    ·
    Pre cook smoke..,

image.jpg 800K
    ·
    Going to some new things on the egg tonight...

image.jpg 582.5K
    ·
  • I think for the pre cook smoke, they shou know d have a really like on here :D
    ·
  • Or they should have  :)) a really like option
    ·
  • Tell us about the strawberries, Hap. What's the rub I see?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • It looks like that natural sugar like sugar in the raw. 
    ·
    Strawberries are coated with a little olive oil and some DP Pineapple Head. I will let everyone know how they turn out.
    ·
    Results were fantastic... Both the wife and daughter killed the grouper...

imageimageimage
    image.jpg 788.1K
    image.jpg 521.2K
    image.jpg 570.6K
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Looks good Hap. Can you post the salsa recipe?

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • That looks great Hap! The strawberries with the Pineapple Head sounded great! That rub does't get the attention it deserves. Great cook!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    How were the strawberries Hap?  Looks like a great idea.
    shtgunal3 said:

Looks good Hap. Can you post the salsa recipe?

Thanks guys...

The salsa was kinda by feel. :))

Adjust the amounts too your tastes.

3 ripe mangos
    1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
    1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
    1 green onion.
    Juice of 1 lime and 1 lemon
    Lime zest to taste
    2 table spoons of chopped fresh cilantro

Mix it up and stick it in the fridge for a few hours.

Enjoy!
    ·
    Tjcoley said:

How were the strawberries Hap?  Looks like a great idea.

They were really good. A little soft; but the flavor more than made up for it b
    ·