Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Assembly Frustration

Has anyone run into this? I had to replace my bands, hinges, springs etc.... on the XL. It's completely different animal from the Large. Everything is in place, perfectly lined up.... but the top spring brackets on each of the side link bars keeps shifting back towards the spring when I close the dome. It is also pulling the dome further back on the base, creating a gap on the front of the egg. And it's pulling so tight, the fromt of the dome doesn't sit on the base when closed.

Any insight will be appreciated.

BOOMER!

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited April 2013
    Without the springs attached, lime up dome where it should be and have the side nuts on the top loose. Lift the dome until you feel the shift. Close dome and use a wrench on the top band bolt to push the dome forward on the base. Tighten the nuts on the sides, then open and attach the springs.

It's been a while since I assembled mine, but I think I've got it all correct. The springs are only there to make opening the egg easier.

You.may need a person in front to hold the egg base so it doesn't shift when pushing with the wrench.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hit YouTube
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited April 2013

What do you mean by "You.may need a person in front to hold the egg base so it doesn't shift when pushing with the wrench"

Also, is the top and bottom half of the egg supposed to line up perfect? I have about 1/8"-1/4" over hang. Ive tried the above method, but it still sits the same..

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • I'm taking notes because this will be my issue next week.
    Flint, Michigan
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    It doesn't sound like the bands are tight. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Deal lol.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    had same problem with mine. the clips that the spring goes in with the long slot fits on outside of bar  and offsets in not out.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    I've attached two photos of my XL from behind. I hope these help. Let me know if you need other shots. 

I recently replaced my gasket under warranty, but I slightly adjusted the bands and tightened them up.

Spring:

Bands:
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA