Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my Large BGE this week. Got some ribs smoking right now.
Used JJ's rub.[p]Im amazed at how easy it is to control the temperature. Ribs have been cooking about 3 hours now and the temp has only fluctuated a little bit. [p]The daisy wheel at the top is cracked open just a little and only about a 1/4 inch at the bottom. Temperature is steady at about 250.[p]Just hope they taste as good as they look. Ok I peeked once! :)[p]

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tom, welcome to the world of the BGE. Contrary to what C~W says, peeking is sometimes ok. In fact when making ribs, I'm one of the people that flips every 45 minutes - it is a great excuse to peek. [p]Gook luck on the ribs and Happy 4th!

• Tom
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I started to flip em but they look like they are cooking pretty evenly without it. I may just leave em alone. [p]They have been cooking about 2.5 hours. Bout another hour Ill check em again. [p]Happy 4th to you too. I might just tried pulled pork sooner than I anticipated.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tom,
    Nice timing on the purchase!! Just in time for a nice weekend of cooking! Sounds like you already have it down pat. And what a great thing to cook on humpty.[p]I can almost guarantee you that they will taste as good as they look!! And probably better than you ever expected.[p]Have a great time, and welcome!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tom,
    A big congratulations to you on the purchase but also on mastering of the temp/vent controls so soon. It takes most people 3-4 cooks to really get the feel of it. Good luck - and welcome.[p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tom, your doing great..watch for the meat to shrink from the rib bone..when about 1/2 inch is showing sample a end cut rib..see how moist and tender and keep sampling..about 5 hour cook FMHE (From my humble experience)
    Welcome to the forum..you in for treats by the hundreds..
    C~W[p]

• Tom
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Just pinched off a little taste. So good I slapped my wife!! :) just kidding[p]Been cooking for about 4 hours now. Ya know its kinda hard to get the temp below 250. Both the bottom and top are allmost completly closed. But Im sure Ill get it with more practice. But for my first time, its been alot easier than I thought. [p]I was so wrapped up in cooking the ribs I forgot we might want to eat something else with it. Wrapped up some corn on the cob in foil and tossed it on. That should do it! :)[p]Im gonna love this grill!
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tom, your right on target..temperature wise. You betcha..we all say the same thing..expensive to start with, but wow, after a few weeks you woulda paid double..(almost).
    We have been grilling 5 days a week for over 3 years now, thru snow and rain and love it just as much as the first day.
    Cheers...C~W

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Tom,
    I know what you mean about trying to keep low temps. I am new also and had a hard time at first. I dont know if there are differences in individual eggs, but with mine I need to keep the bottom vent open only a sliver. I am talking 1/32 of an inch. Same on the top. At first I thought that this would put out the fire, but it doesn't. Its usually windy where I live so that could be the reason. It is amazing how temperatures can be held on the egg. Soon you will be able to set the temp on your Egg almost as easy as your oven.
    Billy