Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Texas Eggfest Chorizo Recipe

I have been tweaking this recipe. Cooked 10 lbs today at the Texas Eggfest about 300 samples. Lots of seconds.

John’s Texas Eggfest Pork Chorizo Sausage (makes about 2-1/2 lbs)

Ingredient List:

2 dried Ancho or New Mexico Red Chile Peppers

2lb of Ground Pork

6 oz of Salt Pork

8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled 

1 TSP of ground black pepper

½ TSP of Cumin

½ TSP of Oregano, I use fresh but dried will work

3 TBS of Ancho Chile Powder

1 TSP of Cayenne Pepper

1 TSP of Cinnamon

1 cup of water – I use the water from hydrating the peppers

2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar

Making the sausage

Cut the stem off the peppers. In a small sauce pan, boil one cup of water and the peppers for about 5 mins until the peppers are soft. Turn the heat off and let the peppers and water cool for 10 mins.

Add the garlic cloves, spices, the peppers, salt pork and ¼ cup of water into your food processor. Blend until the ingredients become a paste.

Place the meat, salt, pepper, vinegar, the remaining water from cooking the chile’s and the paste in a large bowl and blend by hand.  

I store the sausage in a zip lock freezer bag overnight and cook the next day. This is gives the spices and ingredients to blend.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
·

Comments

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    It was very good too!!!!.  I have never used salt pork...will add that to my recipe.  It was great seeing y'all again.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Stared this one looks good. And thanks for tweeking it for us, I mean you want it to be perfect for us right? ^:)^
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    John that chorizo was good. Even the Mrs who isnt a sausage fan loved it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·