Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer accuracy - BBQ Guru 2 vs BGE built-in gauge

Options
Hi all, I have a 75 degree difference between the reading on the BBQ Guru at 325F and the BGE gauge reading 250F. The sensor is clipped to the temp probe inside the dome. Has anybody else experienced this and which is likely to be the most accurate? Thanks

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I would bet money on the BBQ Guru.  Boil water on your stove and put both in and see what the readings are.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Don't get your guru probe wires wet.  Just put the probes a couple of inches into the boiling water.  The BGE thermo is adjustable (nut on the back side).

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Steveb999
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't know the BGE thermo was adjustable.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    My Guru has always measured the same as the BGE thermometer. Be sure, as all will say, to calibrate your BGE thermometer.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I will put my money that the DigiQ is correct.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I mentioned previously in this thread that my Guru and BGE dome thermometer always seemed to be the same. NOT TODAY! The thermometer was running 25-28* hotter than the Guru. Not good. I calibrate my dome thermometer regularly so I thought maybe the Guru was wacky. I opened the Egg and removed the Guru clip from the probe portion of the dome thermometer and then removed the thermometer itself to check it in boiling water. (I removed the clip from the thermometer some time back, thank goodness). The thermometer turned out to be right at 100* C.  For whatever reason, something caused me to wonder if the clip being placed lower rather than higher on the  was causing the probe to get hotter than the air around it. LIGHT BULB ON! The lower portion of the probe (below the line on the probe) is where the temperature is measured. I then placed the crocodile clip for the Guru on the probe above the line on the probe and SUCCESS!. Both the Guru and the dome thermometer were now in sync.

SO.....when using the Guru for achieving a prescribed dome temp, be sure to place the crocodile clip high on the dome probe.

As a old retired and broken down horse thieving barrister, the scientific reasons for this is way above my capability of understanding. The portion of the probe underneath the clip is hotter due to the metal of the clip being hot?  :<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini