Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

11:00 AM - Is it too late to start a 5 pounds picnic shoulder for a pulled pork diner?

paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,656
I usually do overnight cooks when cooking pork shoulders but I never cooked a small piece of meat like this one...

Comments

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,656
    Forgot to mention it is bone-in

Go turbo and it should be ready in time for a meal this evening. Indirect at around 350 should get you there
    ·
    @hapster would you foil it after a few hours?

even at 300* which ends up usually being around an hour per lb, you should be fine...IMO
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,929
    I don't think you'll need to foil
    ·
  • I've done several and they turn out fine.  You might consider injecting with some apple juice and cook at 325.  I like to foil and rest the meat before digging in
    ·
    Thanks everyone.  What was supposed to be a 15 minutes nap ended up as the full afternoon sleeping... The pulled pork will have to wait until tomorrow.  Tonight will be a rack of pork loin sous vide finished on the egg.

For the 5 pounds pork shoulder tomorrow.  Should I expect a stall?  Will it be shorter or same duration as a 11-12 pounds shoulder?

At turbo speed the stall does not get to play-you power thru it, thus the shortened cook-time, or so the turbo cooks express.  I'm sure they will be along shortly. 
    Louisville
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,713
    I have done 10 pounders at 350 all the way thru with no foil and no stall Took about 7 hrs on the egg

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·