Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket detour

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Had brisket on the brain but kroger had Boston butts on sale for $1.25 per pound so I scarfed a few. Cutting 8 lb butts in half to share with 2-3 families... Doing my first turbo cook. Picked up Byron butt rub too.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Nice. I just got $150 worth of dead stuff for the comp.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    When you guys see Bad Byron's in the stores is there huge color variability from bottle to bottle? If so, do you choose one bottle over the other? 

I hear great things about the stuff on here but every time I see it the appearance is hugely variable (from very pale orange through deep redish) and that makes me really nervous about the consistency of taste. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    Options
    I saw the same thing... Pulled red from the back...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    fluorescent lighting is hell on organic materials. It will fade the colors out of them so look for the brightest. Does not mean it's the freshest but it means it's been away for the overhead lighting the longest.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Red butt rub in the light, BBQ delight. Butt rub looks brown, just leave town. Really I dont think its a big deal just different amount of time out in the sun or lights. I would have to agree with cen-tex
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

henapple said:
    Had brisket on the brain but kroger had Boston butts on sale for $1.25 per pound so I scarfed a few. Cutting 8 lb butts in half to share with 2-3 families... Doing my first turbo cook. Picked up Byron butt rub too.
    you are dead to me...........
  • henapple
    Options
    Till I bring Ozark and Woodford...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    This is true. I just put Salado brisket #3 in the hole. Added a water pan this time to see if it helps the smoke ring just for fun. Hell, I might even spritz it if I'm feeling crazy later. We'll see. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Bad Byron's has always been consistent for me. Never paid attention to color. Guess I will now. Gee thanks... :ar!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    Options

henapple said:

This is true. I just put Salado brisket #3 in the hole. Added a water pan this time to see if it helps the smoke ring just for fun. Hell, I might even spritz it if I'm feeling crazy later. We'll see. 

Try not to burn the house down...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    henapple said:
    This is true. I just put Salado brisket #3 in the hole. Added a water pan this time to see if it helps the smoke ring just for fun. @#!*% , I might even spritz it if I'm feeling crazy later. We'll see. 
    Try not to burn the house down...
    I have a nest now. No more tables for me. I'm going to build 2 tables that sit on each side but no touchy.

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    henapple said:

I bought the same butts. But grabbed a flat too
    But my Masters Sunday brisket was so bad I have to try again. Hit the jackpot 4 times in a row with brisket and then the epic fail with a house full of guests. So bad I didn't eat mine. Put a beef dog on the gasser.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    flemster said:

henapple said:

I bought the same butts. But grabbed a flat too
    But my Masters Sunday brisket was so bad I have to try again. Hit the jackpot 4 times in a row with brisket and then the epic fail with a house full of guests. So bad I didn't eat mine. Put a beef dog on the gasser.....

Ouch. Been there, done that. It gets better :).

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    We are Bad Bryan fans, it is a mild rub and that makes everyone happy here..