Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Cooking brisket

Charles in SC
Charles in SC Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please tell me what is wrong with this style.
Yesterday I cooked an 11 lb whole and a 6.5 lb flat at the same time.
Here is what I did.
Trimmed the external fat, coated with olive oil and rub.
Cooked indirect at 325 for 3 hours with HEAVY smoke, coated with parkay 2 hours into the cook. Wrapped at 3 hours with a little apple juice added then cooked at 225 till an internal temp of 200.
The tenderness and smoke flavor ect seemed like it was cooked for 18 hours instead of 4 1/2. All right some of you bbq technicians, Why should I not do this all the time? The only down side I could see was a slight burning of the sugar in the rub. I think I could fix that by keeping it sprayed or using a sugar free rub.
Fire away.

Comments

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    sounds great to me. if the taste is what you want, there is nothing else
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Charles in SC,
    You will find hundreds of opinions on this great forum. But my philosophy is this.....Do whatever works for you.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Hi Charles,
    We both know there are some great cooks doing just about that. Everytime I try it though, I end up overcooking it because there is a small window at 200 when it's cooking that fast. With a little practice I think it would be fine.[p]How long did the flat take?

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Charles in SC,Saw Dan,Green Eggs and Ham, cook a 12 lbs. brisket in about four hours at Manchester last week and came in third. It gets done and we got to make it work. Are you planning on coming to the Eggtoberfest?

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Charles in SC,[p]I think there are a few competition cooks doing this now. May be the wave of the future?[p]I've been talking to Old Dave recently and he gave me some stuff to try this weekend with a fast cooked brisket but dang if I didnt end up with no time to try it. I'm going to give it a shot here in the next week or so and I'll post my findings on it as well. Thanks for the post, got me really thinking about this now.[p]Troy
  • drbbq,
    The flat took about 15 minuets less than the whole.

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Charles in SC,
    I can see nothing wrong with that style. Different cooking methods and times will give you different textures and flavors. A shorter, hotter cook will result more of a roast beef flavor. It will be different in taste and texture than a 14 hour brisket cook, and each will be different than a 24 hour session.
    If you wrap in foil, the longer the brisket is in the wrap, the more the end result will be similar to pot roast. The 24 hours at low temp will not render out all the internal fat nor squeeze out all the water in a brisket. That's a good thing in a brisket.
    Roast beef is good, pot roast is good, traditional bbq brisket is good. It's all good. [p]