Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled cedar plank salmon

I am going to try grilling salmon on cedar planks. I have had the planks for about ten years so now that I have an Egg I will give it a try. I have reached the forum and some say cook direct and others say cook indirect. I know that I need to soak the planks for a couple of hours. I will probably cook about 350 but that is about all I know for sure. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Gulf Coast FL

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Cook it direct the point of the cedar is to add flavor. Indirect will just steam it.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I always cook direct on cedar.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • What Canegger says.  Your temp looks good.  Mine takes anywhere from 15-20 minutes depending on the size.  I like to try all kinds of spices on mine so whatever you like.  My personal favorite is cajun.  Then after it is pulled, I'll add a pat of butter.  That's my supper also, planks have been soaking since this AM.  Got some asparagus to go with it.  Enjoy!!

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Direct 375-400 for 18-22 minutes +/-. Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

I cook cedar plank salmon at 400 direct.  I’ve tried it indirect and it turns out good but the cedar plank does not impart any flavor to the fish.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• I've always done direct. Never gotten more that one use out a plank though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Before you put the salmon on, put the pre-soaked plank on the grate directly over the coals for a few minutes to heat up and char a little.  I've found that this helps impart a little more cedar flavor to the fish.  Maybe not through direct contact, but the cedar smoke.  Flip the plank over, and put your salmon down.  Then cook right around 375-400, like BOWHUNR said. 

I've cooked salmon with skin down, and without skin.  I think the skin-on version was better, but it was a beeyotch to clean the plank afterward.  I usually just scrape it as best I can, and then store it in the garage. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Since y'all are answering questions regarding salmon, I wanted to do a Maple Glazed Salmon.  A search of the forum did not yield the recipe consistency i was hoping for.  Maybe I missed it.

I do have planks, but would like a nice carmelized/sticky maple crust on the salmon.  I was thinking skin down direct would be better.  

Thoughts/hints?  I do have planks, so I can go that route but want to keep it simple for first salmon cook.  This cook is for kids who like it sweet (not necessarily smoky).
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Thank you all for the replies. I will cook direct about 375 on the cedar planks skin side down. I will post the results this evening.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I always cook for about 10 minutes at 400.  then pull and let rest in a cold oven and foiled.  It finishes cooking while the rice and veggies are cooking.  

My oven stays cold a lot.  
  • Direct for sure at about 350 to 400. I would get one side of the plank hot then flip it put fish on. 
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Salmon cook was a success!  We had 2 pieces of fish - rubbed one with Tsunami Spin and spread some Dinni's Ginger Teriyaki sauce on the other piece.  Got the planks hot and laid the fish skin side down and cooked for 20 minutes at 370.  Both came out perfect for our taste...  Thanks for the suggestions today.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Beaumonty said:
    Since y'all are answering questions regarding salmon, I wanted to do a Maple Glazed Salmon.  A search of the forum did not yield the recipe consistency i was hoping for.  Maybe I missed it.

I do have planks, but would like a nice carmelized/sticky maple crust on the salmon.  I was thinking skin down direct would be better.  

Thoughts/hints?  I do have planks, so I can go that route but want to keep it simple for first salmon cook.  This cook is for kids who like it sweet (not necessarily smoky).
    I would highly suggest this recipe:  I think it is what you are looking for!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.