Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with damaged egg dome/base?

The egg I bought last year has unfortunately succumbed to a manufacturer's defect - the finish flaked and chipped off. I guess it happens at times, and I'm getting a warranty replacement. A bummer, but so far have been happy with the way they've taken care of me.

But that leaves me with a dome and base. They don't look great - the finish is completely flaked off in patches - but according to BGE it's just cosmetic damage. I guess I could find someone who might want to rebuild it, but it hardly seems worth it. From what I can tell, it would take about $500 to buy all the parts, and you'd end up with an unwarranteed ugly egg.

So, any ideas on what to do with these parts? I could use them as planters, I guess. I'd love to see if I could somehow convert it into a cold-smoker, but not sure how. Or turn the base over and put a tabletop on the top? I'm open to suggestions! Seems like something creative could be done with these parts!

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Save them as spairs just in case maybe.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Use as a fire pit? 
    Quebec - Canada
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    If its a large or XL make a table with it for a small. Don't have a small? Buy one.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I'd love to inherit or buy the base from you, but shipping makes it impractical. 
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

People are always busting top/bottom and bet they would like one

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    what size
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    what size.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    shtgunal3 said:
    If its a large or XL make a table with it for a small. Don't have a small? Buy one.
    +1

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Tandoor oven !

That's what I was thinking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2013
    caliking said:
    Little Steven said:
    Tandoor oven !
    That's what I was thinking!
    +1
    fools seldom differ or great minds think alike?
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I would bury it halfway I think.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PAINT IT RED WITH A BIG HUSKERS "N" ON IT!

oops, did I just say that out loud?
    Gittin' there...
  • LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32

/delurk

I'm confused. you have a Dome AND a Base? What's missing? Do you have a hinge? Firebox?

I made a cold smoke rig out of a soldering iron and small paint can (new can from HW store).

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    LeoHat2 said:

/delurk

I'm confused. you have a Dome AND a Base? What's missing? Do you have a hinge? Firebox?

I made a cold smoke rig out of a soldering iron and small paint can (new can from HW store).

I am assuming BGE is going to ship him a new base and dome.

So he will have to take the firebox, ring, grate and everything else inside it out and it will go into the new one.

That being said I agree with him that buying all the extra parts to make it in usable condition really is not worth it unless you want to make it work for a little cheaper then a new one that is ugly. If it is smaller then a Large or XL then it for sure would not be worth it.
  • Canugghead
    I would bury it halfway I think.
    In the ground?

I'm thinking ... cut off the bottom, invert, bury fully in oil drum with perlite/cement insulation?
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited April 2013
    @Canugghead: That's sort of how I made my drum tandoor, but built a base out of firebricks up to about half the height of the drum, and used a clay pot instead. See below for a cut/paste from a thread I posted on a different forum a few months ago. The repair job gives you an idea of how it was built.

You could leave the dome and base as is, but the dome vent is kinda narrow for using it as a tandoor ( I have tried). You would have to cut the dome to make a wider opening if  you want to use it as a tandoor more easily, but I personally would want to figure out a use for it without having to cut it.

If you could figure out a way to remove and replace the lid with some kind of metal strap jig, you could just make a charcoal basket and use it like you would a "complete" egg. Wouldn't take much in terms of parts, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

"I broke the UDT some time ago by firing it too hot... whoda thunk that burning a stack of wood in it would break it (okay fine, maybe a tandoor FULL of wood was too much).

Anyways, the temps must have been crazy, because not only did the clay pot crack every which way, but the refractory cement holding the top layer of bricks in place basically flaked off. 

First the lid cracked...

Then the rest of it went south...

You can see where the top row of fire bricks lost its cement.

So I went to hunt for a new pot. luckily I found one at HD on sale for about $25. It is about 21" high, 23" diameter at the top and about 14" diameter at the bottom.

I cut off the bottom, to form a lid ( that will become the top of the tandoor) and then cut off the top rim (which will become the bottom once I invert the pot into the tandoor). This time I was able to make much cleaner cuts with a sawzall, than I could when I first built my tandoor. It looked like this after my handiwork.

Then came the hard part. I removed the cracked pot, saving the perlite insulation I had between the pot and the drum. 

Used premixed fire clay to patch up the top row of bricks and fix the pot to the bricks. I may have goofed here though - I sealed the rim of the pot to the bricks. i don't know how this will stand up to the high heat and then cooling down of the tandoor. I'm afraid the pot will crack again, but only time will tell. 

Then I picked up a 24" square piece of diamond plate to make the new collar for the top of the tandoor. I tried an aluminium collar before, but didn't like it. Tried a plywood collar and burned it. So I decided to go all dressy this time.

And there you have it brothers! The UDT is back and ready for more action... well once the fire clay dries and I light a couple of small curing fires. I'm expecting guests over the Xmas holidays, and there have been requests for tandoori chicken and naans, so I hope the repairs hold."

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • No No No. Keep an eye out on craigslist for a cheap busted parts egg. Then paint it red!

Or maybe you could try putting tiles on it like that other brand?
    Gittin' there...
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2013
    @caliking, nice, but I doubt I have the skill or time :\">

Talked to this guy but haven't seen it yet, he cautions that it's very heavy, sounds eager to sell.  Hey @LittleSteven, go for it!  By the way these are not actual photos of the unit.

canuckland
  • Little Steven
    A gas Tandoor? Gary...shame on you!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    edited April 2013
    A gas Tandoor? Gary...shame on you!
    Haha Steve, should have clarified it can probably be easily converted to charcoal.  Just remove the burner and use the same access hole for lump. 

btw, GOV is demo'ing at OGB on Sat, Dickson's on Sun, I may drop by one of them.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven

I'm working tomorrow in Welland. If I get back early enough I'll swing by

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bwalton
    bwalton Posts: 5
    Hey all, thanks for all the comments. Is it indeed a large egg, and Big Green Egg is replacing the damaged parts. It doesn't make sense to buy all the extras to make another egg - I priced them out, it's over $500, so I'm looking for an alternative use.

The Tandoor is an interesting idea, but I think I'd use a cold smoker more. Anyone have ideas on how I could convert it to that?

Just to clarify, ALL I have is the dome and the base. No hardware, no firebox, no grill, nothing but the actual ceramic pieces.