Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers!

Hey guys. Looking for a good burger recipe. Any ideas? I'm feeding 14 and my large BGE is ready to feed the crowd. Anyways, just looking for pointers. Thanks
Large BGE, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    What I have learned is to get a meat grinder and make your own ground meat.  I used brisket, chuck and pork shoulder - They were incredible.

Cooked at 450 raised direct.

Garnerville, NY
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2013
    For burgers, I keep my seasoning simple. Generous salting (similar to how I salt a steak) and fresh ground pepper. When I want a lil kick, I'll use Tony's Creole Seasoning instead.

Where I set my burger off is it's toppings and bread. The burger I posted on Wednesday was topped w/ bacon, avocado, sharp cheddar, leaf lettuce, tomato, pickle, and mayo. I really like to use different types of bread. Sourdough and chibatta are good breads for burgers and alot more interesting than traditional aisle buns. For my last burger, I picked up some nice kaiser rolls from the bake shop and they were great.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    robnybbq said:

What I have learned is to get a meat grinder and make your own ground meat.  I used brisket, chuck and pork shoulder - They were incredible.

Cooked at 450 raised direct.

That is the goods right there!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Make sure you have an 80/20 ground mix and make your patties at least 1/3lb. I like to add my spices to my ground beef before I make my patties. Salt, pepper, ground cummin, paprika and some type of pepper (I've been using Ancho or Chipotle lately).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'll mix one egg per pound and crushed crackers to the meat. Then, add some A1, Worcestershire sauce, and a little season salt. Mix by hand, but be careful not to over mix.
  • 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    What dome temp do you shoot for? Ive heard 450 to 650?
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    I plan on doing about 450 direct on my cast iron grate. 1 egg per pound, with the classic seasonings. I like the idea of bacon, avocado, etc. I'll also stop by my local bakery and get some good bread. 

Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013

By far my best way is to have a brisket ground into hamburger grind. Then mix with chopped red onion and rub. I use cherry and pecan wood for smoke. Cherry gives color. 400/450 Direct....

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Any guidance on the ratio of the brisket, chuck and pork shoulder?
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I did a 4 lb pork shoulder, 4 lbs of chuck and a 2 lb brisket.  It worked well for me.  made burgers and meatloaf a few days later.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    pflug said:
    Any guidance on the ratio of the brisket, chuck and pork shoulder?
    for mine: 100% brisket
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Dumb question....But if you used the shoulder wouldn't you have to cook it to well done since there would be ground pork in it?
    Large BGE

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    145 degrees for pork is the new guideline.
    Edina, MN

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Check out what she does here with Turkey Burgers-

It's originally from the site use real butter.  We made them the other night and they are fantastic!  You may not want to go with all turkey burgers, but I am sure you will impress your guests who choose turkey-  I did add about 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce to mine and like the way it worked- 

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Budgeezer said:
    145 degrees for pork is the new guideline.
    That's not for ground pork.   That's for whole pork.
    Large BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I don't like binders in burgers. I use dehydrated onion flakes. They absorb the juice and fat and hold the burgers together. I find I can get away with leaner beef doing this. Not being good at recipes or following them I'll list the ingredients.

Ground beef/pork

Worchestershire

Fish sauce or chopped anchovies

Fresh pepper

Garlic or granulated garlic

Cayenne or dry chilies

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    nashbama said:
    I'll mix one egg per pound and crushed crackers to the meat. Then, add some A1, Worcestershire sauce, and a little season salt. Mix by hand, but be careful not to over mix.

What does the egg do? Never done that before.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Hi54putty said:
    nashbama said:

What does the egg do? Never done that before.
    Acts as a binding agent.
  • Duganboy said:

Acts as a binding agent.
    Only needed it you're using leaner ground.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.