Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

May the 4th be with you

On May 4th at approx. 9 a.m. I am headed to a friends house where we(20 of us) are going to watch a star wars marathon(episodes 2-6). 
Im a little torn on what to do.  I was going to bring Spares, but they take 6 hours..which means i would have to get up at 2 am, put them on by 3 am...wake up at 6am to foil them, then 8 am to unfoil them...then have a movie marathon? All day? Yeah i would be half asleep all day!

So then i was thinking about doing Pulled Pork. The only issue with that is that my Wife's birthday is May 7th, and were having about 25-30 people over..so were doing pulled pork then as well.

What would you do? Ive never done Turbo Ribs..even though ill be headed out at 9, realistically i wont be eating till noon..so it will need to be reheatable..never had ribs left over to reheat.  Thoughts?

·

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,985
    Turbo ribs ain't hurt no body

@mickey
    Help this boy cook some turbo ribs! \m/

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,985
    Left over ribs are not the same as fresh for sure

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • nashbamanashbama Posts: 102
    ABT's = Atomic Bantha Turds.

You can prep them the night before and cook them that morning. That way you'll get your egging fix and bring the best dish to the party.

Another option is just bring the ingredients and have everyone at the party prep their own while they're watching the movies. Only downside with this is having to use your friend's grill instead of your egg.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,100
    And here I was thinking this thread was about the Kentucky Derby...I have accumulated too many laps of the sun.
    Louisville
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited April 2013
    only 1 solution.... 
    Bring the egg. Spares for when the second Death Star goes! 
    :D

Actually they might even be ready for the death of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru

Bantha (Beef) ribs!

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    Are you celebrating Revenge of the 5th as well?  :))

My daughter's birthday is May the 4th and this is the only way I can remember it sometimes.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • I dont want to move my Large Green Egg(Bad things happened last time). I have a mini..but that is only good for 1 rack of ribs.

Episode 1 Isnt needed for the story line.  Were doing this Machete Style
    http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

How would Turbo Ribs work? I need to do 3 racks

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Hope you weren't offeneded by my sarcasm, just trying to be a little funny. I can't help you with the turbo ribs. I've never done turbo of any sort and I've never done ribs ahead of time and reheated. Does he have any sort of grill/smoker? Others might disagree with me here, but you can still put out good 'cue on rigs other than the Egg. Although the Egg is amazing, part of it is just as much the cook.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    Turbo Baby Back Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    edited April 2013

I would do the cook the day before and vac seal the ribs. Reheat them in simmering water or real low oven. I think most stuff tastes better the next day anyway. Your wife and I share a birthday. What they say about Tauruses is not true!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

I would do the cook the day before and vac seal the ribs. Reheat them in simmering water or real low oven. I think most stuff tastes better the next day anyway. Your wife and I share a birthday. What they say about Tauruses is not true!

Is what is said: Height challenged and from another country?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,000
    Mickey said:

I think it's: "They don't always see eye to eye".
    ·

I think it's: "They don't always see eye to eye".
    OK, Height Challenged.............................................

·
  • Griffin said:
    Hope you weren't offeneded by my sarcasm, just trying to be a little funny. I can't help you with the turbo ribs. I've never done turbo of any sort and I've never done ribs ahead of time and reheated. Does he have any sort of grill/smoker? Others might disagree with me here, but you can still put out good 'cue on rigs other than the Egg. Although the Egg is amazing, part of it is just as much the cook.
    Def. Not offended :) I chuckled and moved onto the next post
    ·
  • I would do the cook the day before and vac seal the ribs. Reheat them in simmering water or real low oven. I think most stuff tastes better the next day anyway. Your wife and I share a birthday. What they say about Tauruses is not true!

And My uncle(may 7th)  Lots of parents were getting busy in End of July beginning of August
    ·
  • @mickey

Is there any difference in Taste/moisture doing turbo vs. non turbo?

I get my ribs from Costco and the membranes are already pulled

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    I am having trouble understanding what you can't understand Mick? Is it the English you have trouble with?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

@mickey

Is there any difference in Taste/moisture doing turbo vs. non turbo?

I get my ribs from Costco and the membranes are already pulled

No dif to me and several others who have tried it. Be sure and check on the Costco membrane.

·
    I am having trouble understanding what you can't understand Mick? Is it the English you have trouble with?
    Yep, did not take Canadian as a second language in school.

·
  • @Mickey

If there is no membrane would i just leave it on for the whole time? So 2.5 hours?

·

@Mickey

If there is no membrane would i just leave it on for the whole time? So 2.5 hours?

100 min's total time.

·
  • Oh Yeah..i read your post wrong. I thought you said 1 hr 40 minutes..then rub then put it back on for HALF that time :P heh.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Try this

Makes great sandwiches or taco's
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,537
    How about Buffalo X-Wings?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."