Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party quantities on chicken question

Cooking spatch chicken Saturday, I am feeding 16 adults we will have sides and what not, how many lbs if chicken do you think I need? Planning on two chickens I have a third I can thaw

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Unless they are Frankenbirds, you will need all three. 
    Wings don't really count, so consider four pieces of breast (each side divided in two) and four pieces of dark meat, 2 legs and 2 thighs for a total of 8 pieces per bird. If light eaters, that's really only one small piece for each adult, I'd go with three birds or because they are spatched at least 2 1/2 birds. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I agree with Skiddy... you'l probably need all 3 birds. A piece or two left over will make a good lunch for you to take to work on Monday.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2013
    4 birds with the way my friends eat.  But for normal people 3 birds should work.   
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like Cowdogs, 4 minimum. That's a quarter per person, but I would cut to into eights to serve. I eat a half (4) and my wife one (one being half of a half breast). Better yet cut the breasts in half as well. Let them serve themselves.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    I usually consider the leg/thigh as once piece.  My local Sam's club has the dual-pack chickens for a buck and some a pound, and those are around 5 pounds per bird, so about 10 pounds total.  So cook 4 and if you have leftovers, you'll at least have a good lunch or two!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    From what i have learnt, my spatchcocked chickens feed basically four adults, so 16 people are going to need 4 chickens -- you will have some left over, but this way the "white meat-dark meat" issue is solved!  Plus, nothing wrong with a few pieces of chicken for a snack! :D
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Are they roasters or fryers?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @LittleSteven, no idea, they weigh probably about 4-5 lbs each.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That would be a large fryer or a small roaster. Do you not use these names in the US?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    Little Steven  I buy smaller fryers. Like the 3.5 to 4.0 lbs best. Would rather cook extra bird and stay with this size if more needed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 3 birds and a 1/2 dozen leg quarters and have leftovers then everyone is happy, we have some big eaters around here

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @LittleSteven, I personally don't use the terms that often. Other people probably do.