Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggware Vent Cap ordered, will bring to Texas Eggfest and cook with it.

I have ordered an Eggware Chimmney Cap and will bring it with me to the Texas Eggfest. Will post some images and let you know how it works for me. I like the looks of it on the web page. I think I can get a discount code for anyone in the forum. 

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Eager to hear what you think of it.  I've always had my 2 eggs in the garage when not in use but now with my third egg I have one on the deck and thinking of getting this to replace the daisy wheel.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BGEXL_Nick
    BGEXL_Nick Posts: 88
    edited April 2013
    Cool.  I have been interested in how well that thing performs.  It also looks a lot better than my upside down pie pan rig I have been using as a rain cap :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I almost ordered last night. Let me know if you get a discount code...
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Looks like it is well designed.  I'm sure the Mothership is taking a look at this.
  • I ordered last week and got it today. I won't have time to install it until Saturday, but the thing is solidly made. Very well thoughtout and constructed. I have no doubt this thing will last as long as my Egg.
    Go Hogs Go
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

Mine arrived today, easy install.  Matt@eggware was pleasant and answered my questions.

Had some rubwash through the petals in a steady rain the other day during a butt cook.  Egg was even tucked under the eave overhang.

We will see how it performs, pretty optimistic.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168

I almost ordered last night. Let me know if you get a discount code...
    Discount code is GAMTN--they'll give you a 15% discount.
  • egret
    I got mine Monday.......he seems pretty happy so far!! :))
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Does it stay on when opening the dome?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited April 2013
    shtgunal3 said:
    Does it stay on when opening the dome?
    From the website:

Benefits & Advantages of the SS Vented Chimney Cap:

• The SS vented Cap maintains the setting when the Big Green Egg is opened (does not swivel open).
    • The Stainless Steel body prevents rusting and can easily be removed for cleaning.
    • The SS Vented Cap will not accidentally fall off the Big Green Egg in the fully open position.
    • The SS Vented Chimney Cap can remain fully open when the Big Green Egg is not in operation since the cover provides protection from rain and this feature allows air flow during hot Summer days and helps prevent the build-up of mold & mildew in the Big Green Egg during periods of non-use.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Duganboy said:

Looks like it is well designed.  I'm sure the Mothership is taking a look at this.

They'll take a look and sell them for $150.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I just opened the box, nice quality and design, no sharp edges. Has a roll of felt to seal the cap the BGE top. Can't wait to test it Saturday.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    I am new here can you guys tell me what the advantage is over taking the wheel off and putting the green cap on. Believe me I am for buying anything to improve the egg.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Focker
    edited April 2013
    Other than the benefits listed above in dweebs' reply, it also replaces your ceramic cap...snuffing out the fire.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• egger ave
    I am new here can you guys tell me what the advantage is over taking the wheel off and putting the green cap on. Believe me I am for buying anything to improve the egg.
    I am looking for better airflow control, keeping in the rain out and installing a full time cap on the BGE. And a cap that won't fall off or move when I open the dome. I think the felt will provide an airtight seal between the cap and the dome. At least, thats the plan.

Albert Einstein
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    very interested in feedback, currently I have no complaints with what the egg came with, but have looked at this before.  I egg under a small porch, rain has never been an issue, ease of control was what drew me to this

XLBGE 
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    This item has been out less than 2 months. I will order one. Love customizing my Egg.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Thank you egger ave I was just wanted to know.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • I just ordered one, will provide feedback once I get it installed
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188

I just use this.  I have the best smelling golf umbrella on the course.

018.JPG 997.8K
  • egger ave
    Discount Code

AUSTIN (All Caps) in coupon code at check-out for 15% off until May 10th.

Albert Einstein
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

Mine arrived today, easy install.  Matt@eggware was pleasant and answered my questions.

Had some rubwash through the petals in a steady rain the other day during a butt cook.  Egg was even tucked under the eave overhang.

@Focker - I am waiting for mine to arrive. Could you please post a pic of where your felt is installed? Also love that wood handle, did you make that? Thanks.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • egret
    I gave mine a trial run last night with some flank steaks and it operated just as advertised. Very easy to control with just the single adjustment as opposed to the slider and daisy wheel configuration. Coals snuffed out when done. I like it so far. My camera is acting up again so no pics. :(
  • egret

@Focker - I am waiting for mine to arrive. Could you please post a pic of where your felt is installed? Also love that wood handle, did you make that? Thanks.
    Very easy directions to follow come with it. Installation is very simple!
  • Focker
    edited April 2013

The felt goes 1/8" or so from the top of the ceramic. 

Marty@ AML Wood Art makes the custom handles, very good quality. 

http://www.amlwoodart.com/BGE1.html

Talked to him on a couple of occasions about product, very helpful.  He has now improved the design to hide the SS screws and added another complete new design.  You can get them personalized.  I opted for more grain.  They are East Indian Rosewood.  Also have a Black Walnut on the WSM.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• egger ave
    The cap worked well today at the Texas Eggfest. Easy to control temp. Shutter stayed where it was when you open the dome. Tried temps as low as 250 and as high as 600. Air tight with gasket so shutting down the BGE was easy. Will definitely find a home on BGE. Use AUSTIN for the discount code for 15% off.

Albert Einstein
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

egger ave, please do post your reaction when you do get to cook with it.

Thanks!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    jaydub58 said:

egger ave, please do post your reaction when you do get to cook with it.

Thanks!

He just did.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks for the report. I like the idea of using one item for temp control and shutting down afterwards.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Cool, I ordered one today.