Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catching Ash inside the Fire Box

It's been a few years since I posted on here, but I remember reading a while back that someone had a setup in his/her fire box that allowed for a quick and easy removal of the ash in the firebox.  I think the setup had the lump charcoal sitting up higher than the fire grate, and the ash fell down which allowed for easy ash cleanup.  I want to look at this setup because it may be ideal for quick cooks, and max airflow if I can keep the BGE somewhat clean.

Can someone help me find the thread or pics?  I've been searching for the past hour and I can't find it.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    if its just to shake the ash out of the lump people were buying a turbograte, i dont think they really caught on. there were a few homemade baskets a while back as well, expanded metal and there was a stainless bowl with holes drilled all over it.  an easy method is to build the lump pile on a weber grate placed under the fire ring and use a raised grid above it, only for quick cooks like a steak, hamburger/hotdogs

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Turbo Grate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Great!  Thanks for the help.  The one I was thinking was homemade, so thanks for your help. I  appreciate it.