Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mexican Restaurant Corn Balls

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a recipe for those sweet corn balls that you get on your plate at Mexican restaurants. They're sweet, and made up of corn meal and kernal corn, plus some other stuff, and the consistency is about like a stiff hush puppy just before you throw it in the grease to fry. Anyone know the name of these things or have a recipe for them?

Thanks!

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Here's one I found for one of my lady friends.

They will be reprinting their cook soon.

Good Luck,

Boom

Chevy's Copy Cat Sweet Corn Tamalitos (Corn Cakes)

Ingredients:
    5 tablespoons margarine, softened
    1/4 cup Masa Harina
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed, divided
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons milk, PLUS
    1 teaspoon milk

Directions:
    In a small mixing bowl, mix the margarine, masa and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.

In a blender container, blend half the corn kernels with the water until smooth. Combine this mixture with the margarine mixture, stirring well. Add the remaining corn kernels, corn meal, baking powder, salt and milk and mix well.

Pour the corn mixture into an 8-inch square baking pan. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and steam by setting atop a medium saucepan of water on top of the stove. Bring water to a boil and steam corn mixture for 50 minutes to one hour (check to see whether you might need to add more water), until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tomalito should have a smooth, moist texture.

NOTE: The pan must be tightly wrapped at all times.