Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not sure whats going on here...

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
9.5 lb pork butt.  Put it on at 3am this morning, it is now 9:15 am (about 6 hours later) and the thing is at 195 degrees!  My digital thermometer says the dome temp is 268, BGE thermometer says about 366 but I figured it wasn't accurate/needs calibrating.  I have done several but I have never had one go that fast.  Any ideas on how I screwed up?  I'm going to wrap it and put in a cooler until closer to time to eat and I'll update with results.  I'm worried my egg thermometer is more accurate than the Maverick digital one, although it's worked great in the past.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Are you sure the meat temp reading is accurate? If it is, my guess is the BGE thermometer is closer to correct.

You've got 4 - 6 hours FTC. I'm going to guess the outside may be a little charred. Maybe take a taste of anything really black and crisp. If bitter, carefully remove before foiling.
  • Check all of your thermometers.  That way you know which to believe.  Adjust any inaccurate thermometers.  If the thermometer you used to get your temp of your butt was off, re-check your butt. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • jls9595
    I wrapped it already but it wasn't charred, looked like they normally do.  I checked the temp with my other thermometer and it read the same internal.  It seems very tender when I poke it.  I wish I took a picture of it. I would agree the egg thermometer must be closer to accurate but I had the vent at the bottom and daisy wheel just like I always do, only difference is I used a new brand of lump. The only variable besides that I can think of is I also used a different brand of pork butt, it had some additives in it I think.  That shouldn't account for the speed it cooked though should it?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Where is your digital placed? I've seen them read low when they are too close to the meat. If your meat is 195 and your thermo is touching, it will bring the reading way down.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jls9595
    Where is your digital placed? I've seen them read low when they are too close to the meat. If your meat is 195 and your thermo is touching, it will bring the reading way down.
    I always put it through the top of the wheel and let it hang down, that very well could be it.  I didn't think I had it down that far but it possible.  Thanks.  We'll see how this turbo butt tastes later.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 said:
    Where is your digital placed? I've seen them read low when they are too close to the meat. If your meat is 195 and your thermo is touching, it will bring the reading way down.
    I always put it through the top of the wheel and let it hang down, that very well could be it.  I didn't think I had it down that far but it possible.  Thanks.  We'll see how this turbo butt tastes later.  

That's your issue. Don't ask how I know :). It should be great. The long rest will do wonders for it.
  • jls9595
    Thanks, I think it'll be fine.  Even the greats make mistakes sometimes ;)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I put two 8 LBS on at 6 Am (350). I wrapped them at 160 int about 9:30 Am. Should be done at 11:30 or 12.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Is it a bone in shoulder?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Is it a bone in shoulder?
    That's an excellent point Steven......
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Bottom line:   Boil some water and check all your thermometers.  Simple to do and then you'll know what's going on.
    Even if you pit was at 350, butt will be great, people do them at that temp with great results.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jls9595
    yes, that's all I've ever done is bone-in
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 said:
    What Steven was getting at is if your probe is too close to the bone, it will read much higher than if it's deep in the muscle. 

• jls9595
    jls9595 said:
    What Steven was getting at is if your probe is too close to the bone, it will read much higher than if it's deep in the muscle. 

ahh, yes.  I guess that's possible as well but when I measured it in different places it still read 190-198 internal.  I'm thinking my dome thermometer was too close to the meat thus reading cooler.  It must have been cooking at 350 the whole time instead of 250 like I thought.  Still seems fast though.  

Is it possible that different types of lump burn differently i.e. hotter than others?  This might explain the difference since I had my egg setup the way I normally do for 225-250 degrees.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Unfortunately I'm not nearly as intelligent as Mr. C-T assumes. I always find that when the bone pulls out with no resistance it's perfectly done.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

jls9595 said:
    jls9595 said:

Is it possible that different types of lump burn differently i.e. hotter than others?  This might explain the difference since I had my egg setup the way I normally do for 225-250 degrees.
    Cowboy lump, as it was a few years ago, apparently was made from red oak leftovers from furniture and flooring production. Red oak is very porous, and so was the lump. Relatively speaking, it burnt somewhat hotter and faster than other common brands. The same air flow passed thru the lump more readily.

But I haven't a clue why you might have had a 350F fire w. 250F settings. 290 is the highest I've had w. 250 approximate setting.

• my god it looks awesome. May all my screw ups turn out so good. wow.
  • Unfortunately I'm not nearly as intelligent as Mr. C-T assumes. I always find that when the bone pulls out with no resistance it's perfectly done.
    or that. sorry for assuming :)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    sounds like a turbo butt
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    henapple said:

sounds like a turbo butt

Ah henapple you beat me to it. Nothing wrong here!! Well some thermo stuff yes, but you just whooped out a turbo butt!!

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    At least you caught it in time. Last time this happened to me, the IT temp was 212 when I woke up. The bark was charred. Mine ended up being a result of a windy night creeping my temp up to 350 and my stupidity of not setting up my maverick not to mention my first cook with a high que grate and the vent settings were different. Good recovery though. Looks great
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The only thing that matters is the end result. I always tell my guys.. If you can drink paint and piss it I don't care.. Just get it done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    Thanks for the comments everyone.  I can't believe how good it turned out, I owe it all to my egg. That was my last meal before having my tonsils out and nasal turbinate reduction surgery.  I just got back on here to scope out some new rub recipes and its killing me I can't eat anything for a while.  At least I had a great last meal.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!