Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wedding cook

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
So I've been asked to cook brisket, chicken, and sausage for my brother in laws wedding. I'm going to add a pork butt since its cheap and I'll just throw it on my small. It will be for about 50-60, which consists of mostly adults.

Regarding the chicken, I was thinking leg quarters and maybe some split chicken breasts. I got to thinking though and now I'm thinking I might do 4 spatchcocks. It would definitely be more bang for the buck. Thoughts?

Also, what's y'all's favorite store bought sausage?
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Depends on what "quality" of chicken you are going to use. Maybe it's just me but I've found I enjoy the regular feed chickens and beef more then the grass fed or other options. I would go with the spatchcocks myself but I've done some great things with leg quarters and split chicken breasts. I'd price it out and do what will cost less, but that's just me. What kind of sausage are you cooking? Kielbasa? Or something else?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Doing the very same weekend after next. Was going spatchcocked turkeys and talked into just turkey breasts instead. Doing hams and sausage. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150382/lunch-for-60#latest
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Spatchcock would be a good way to go so you can offer some light and dark meat. 

You should convince @Griffin to get some of his Venison Jalapeño Cheese Sausage that looks good! 

I wish I was closer to help out with my two eggs. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Conecuh sausage is awesome if you can get it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    Hmmm...turkey breasts. That might be an idea. :-?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    "Sliced" brisket, "Sliced" turkey breast, "Pulled" pork -- you have beef-poultry-pork, and all easily served and eaten and all pre-cookable to make it easy on yourself.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    What no Cazzy Wings?
    I like the idea of leg quarters and breasts, easier to get more on and move around if there are any heat "sweet" spots. Along with the butt and some sausage you have enough choice. Mickey got me thinking that turkey breast (poultry white meat) along with chicken leg quarters (poultry dark meat) is also a good combo. 
    A mild German brat is a good sausage as it is one of a number of meats offered. Given the time and space, brats can be cooked in beer/water with some onion and held until ready to color/brown on the grill before serving. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    "Sliced" brisket, "Sliced" turkey breast, "Pulled" pork -- you have beef-poultry-pork, and all easily served and eaten and all pre-cookable to make it easy on yourself.
    Yep...I like the menu.  Don't see myself making anything before hand though.  I guess I like a challenge.  I'm going to have 2 eggs and a big offset smoker to work with.
  • cazzy
    What no Cazzy Wings?
    I like the idea of leg quarters and breasts, easier to get more on and move around if there are any heat "sweet" spots. Along with the butt and some sausage you have enough choice. Mickey got me thinking that turkey breast (poultry white meat) along with chicken leg quarters (poultry dark meat) is also a good combo. 
    A mild German brat is a good sausage as it is one of a number of meats offered. Given the time and space, brats can be cooked in beer/water with some onion and held until ready to color/brown on the grill before serving. Good luck!
    That's great, I love the idea of having leg quarters and turkey breasts.  

Unfortunately, I don't think i'll be able to pull off wings.   That's a good tip on the sausage, just may have to go that route.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Turkey breasts vs spatchcocked turkey. I wanted spatchcocked turkey but AlwaysGolf talked me out of it. Saying that full turkey loss between buy weight and service weight is 35% loss vs breast only 15% loss. That and telling me I am in a very small minorty wanting dark turkey. He is doing lots of large catering and found do breasts only.  I still like dark turkey but will go by his advice on this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.