Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long overdue...I finally have a cook thread for you

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    caliking said:

You're right... That is a terrible brisket. Send the rest over to me for disposal, so you don't have to suffer it any more.

Seriously though, I wish my briskets looked like yours. I'll take a couple of sammies!

Lol...I really think it just rested too long for my liking. The flavor was spot on...just wasn't good as my last brisket so I guess I set the bar too high. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • so what didnt you like about it?Texture?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy

so what didnt you like about it?Texture?

The texture on some of the point resembled mush and even though I cut across the grain.

The flat wasn't as tender as was it was last time so I missed my mark a tad. I'm still trying to determine if the butcher wrap added anything. I will try again though because it didn't hurt anything either.

The funny thing is, each person at it without sauce (was on table) and cleaned their plates, so it wasn't bad by any means.

What is your sweet spot for rest (how long)? I assume you always rest, correct? I honestly usually don't unless I finish early.
  • cazzy said:
    The texture on some of the point resembled mush and even though I cut across the grain. The flat wasn't as tender as was it was last time so I missed my mark a tad. I'm still trying to determine if the butcher wrap added anything. I will try again though because it didn't hurt anything either. The funny thing is, each person at it without sauce (was on table) and cleaned their plates, so it wasn't bad by any means. What is your sweet spot for rest (how long)? I assume you always rest, correct? I honestly usually don't unless I finish early.

I bet it was the wrap. The brisket I made in Salado was rested 5 hours and it was money. Ive done several 5-6 hour holds and they have all been awesome. I have found that most crutched brisket is mushy. I'm sure there is a science to it but it's above my pay grade. No wrap, no inject, no spray.....I find the simpler I keep it, the better it is. . Franklin cooks hot (like 325) so he wraps to protect the bark from scorching once it looks right to him.
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

The texture on some of the point resembled mush and even though I cut across the grain.

The flat wasn't as tender as was it was last time so I missed my mark a tad. I'm still trying to determine if the butcher wrap added anything. I will try again though because it didn't hurt anything either.

The funny thing is, each person at it without sauce (was on table) and cleaned their plates, so it wasn't bad by any means.

What is your sweet spot for rest (how long)? I assume you always rest, correct? I honestly usually don't unless I finish early.

I bet it was the wrap. The brisket I made in Salado was rested 5 hours and it was money. Ive done several 5-6 hour holds and they have all been awesome. I have found that most crutched brisket is mushy. I'm sure there is a science to it but it's above my pay grade. No wrap, no inject, no spray.....I find the simpler I keep it, the better it is. . Franklin cooks hot (like 325) so he wraps to protect the bark from scorching once it looks right to him.

I prolly was, my last one was insane and I followed more normal technique. Simple, simple, simple. I know it's not good to mess up a good thing, but I just like experimenting. The texture in the some of the point was unlike any I have made so you're probably right.

• cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    The texture on some of the point resembled mush and even though I cut across the grain. The flat wasn't as tender as was it was last time so I missed my mark a tad. I'm still trying to determine if the butcher wrap added anything. I will try again though because it didn't hurt anything either. The funny thing is, each person at it without sauce (was on table) and cleaned their plates, so it wasn't bad by any means. What is your sweet spot for rest (how long)? I assume you always rest, correct? I honestly usually don't unless I finish early.

I prolly was, my last one was insane and I followed more normal technique. Simple, simple, simple. I know it's not good to mess up a good thing, but I just like experimenting. The texture in the some of the point was unlike any I have made so you're probably right.

i like to play around with it too but i've had crutched brisket abd found it mushy. i've had Franklin's too and it's really good so there is something to it. maybe needs to be crutched when cooked hotter? I dunno. for now, i'm good without it
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

i like to play around with it too but i've had crutched brisket abd found it mushy.
    i've had Franklin's too and it's really good so there is something to it. maybe needs to be crutched when cooked hotter? I dunno. for now, i'm good without it

So, at a minimum, how long do you rest yours for?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited April 2013
    cazzy what kind of knife did you get? i've been looking for a long slicer but I have no idea what to get.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    U_tarded said:

cazzy what kind of knife did you get? i've been looking for a long slicer but I have no idea what to get.  

I was about to ask the same question. Is that a Forschner?

• cazzy
    edited April 2013
    It's a Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge. I really like it, especially for the price point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFDB9?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links
  • U_tarded
    I was about to ask the same question. Is that a Forschner?
    thats what my first guess was and thats what i've been eyeing but I am so tired of crappy knives and the only decent kitchen store here only carries wustoff and henkles and they are wicked over priced so I'm stuck to shopping online.
  • cazzy
    Apparently Victorinox used to be named Forschner.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's an awesome deal on that knife. It's 15 bucks more on other sites. I've had my eyes on it.
  • U_tarded
    cazzy said:
    It's a Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge. I really like it, especially for the price point. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFDB9?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links
    thanks man, now to sneak it into the kitchen without being noticed>>>>>>>
  • cazzy
    edited April 2013
    U_tarded said:

cazzy said:

It's a Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge. I really like it, especially for the price point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFDB9?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

thanks man, now to sneak it into the kitchen without being noticed>>>>>>>

Ah, usually I'll ship it to my work in that scenario. :P

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited April 2013
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

i like to play around with it too but i've had crutched brisket abd found it mushy. i've had Franklin's too and it's really good so there is something to it. maybe needs to be crutched when cooked hotter? I dunno. for now, i'm good without it
    So, at a minimum, how long do you rest yours for?

1-3 hours but I've gone way longer and they seem to do hold up perfectly. Like I said above, The "Salado Brisket" was like 5-6 and the texture was awesome
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    "The Salado Brisket"? 

Thats it! I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy

"The Salado Brisket"? 

Thats it! I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Damn Travis...that good huh? Better than yours?