Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for New Grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi To All,[p]I am looking at buying a new charcoal grill. I have had a typical Texas 55 gallon drum type grill for years. It's getting a little long in the tooth. I was originally going to buy a bar-b-chef texas charcoal grill from BBQGalore - I have included a link to the model.[p]I cook slow and cook fast. I cook a variety of meats. Just got into lump charcoal and fell in love with it. I like the bbqgalore model as it has an easy load charcoal drawer. [p]Spending up to $ 1500.00 for a good grill is not an issue. I want a good grill that I can cook great steaks, chicken, and ribs. [p]While doing research on charcoal grills I ran across the Green Egg and this forum. I have gone back about a month and a half and, while I found a few messages on the Egg vs. Weber, etc, didn't find alot about using an Egg vs. a model similar to the bar-b-chef.[p]Looking for some advice, opinions, etc. Want to buy within the next two months.[p]Thanks to all in advance![p]Allen[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Allen,
    A ceramic cooker like the Egg will probably be the most versatile cooker you have ever owned. You can cool ultra low for doing beef jerkey up to temperatures for searing steaks. In between you can probably cook almost anything you can think of. Roasting meats, preparing stews and chilis, baking pizza, calzones and bread. You name it...
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    Allen, [p]Hi Allen, I purchased my first EGG 9yrs ago. I have two large and a mini. I will be getting a small at Eggtoberfest this year. I cook steaks, chicken, ribs, prime rib, turkey, ham, pulled pork, veggies, pizza, shrimp, crab legs, bread, cheese, and whatever else I can find. I stand PROUD behind this product. Just my two cents.[p]Keep smokin, Dana

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    Allen,[p]I would definately suggest the egg by far. I have had mine for a month now and am at the end of an 18-19 hour cook. I put an 11 pound picnic into the egg last night around 9 and a little over 18 hours later it is still holding temp strong at 250. I had heard it could be done but nothing is like seeing to believeing. I love my egg.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Allen,
    You can cook low and slow and you can cook fast. The difference you will experience is you will be able to go lower and you will be able to go higher. Oh, did I mention you'll be able to get sleep at night on low and slows and the rain won't bother you either?[p]There's also the lifetime warranty and the best service in the industry if you're in to those kind of things.

• Allen,[p]I've been shopping for grills for almost a year. I really liked the Bar-B-Chef model from BBQ's Galore (the non-stainless one actually). I saw it on Alton Brown's show last winter and liked the setup. I've heard Alton Brown doesn't really like the grill because of airlow and temperature control problems. I was still going to purchase one, but I couldn't find one in a store (didn't want to buy sight unseen). In the interim, someone on another forum recommended the BGE.[p]I was very skeptical at first. I don't buy into hype on manufacturer's website forums. But after talking with people I trust that own them and hearing their stories of 20 hour cooks on one load of lump, I was convinced enough to give it a try and bought one. I've only had it a week and only cooked on it twice. I cooked a spatchcocked chicken first (wasn't worried about messing up a $4 yard bird), and it was the best chicken I've ever cooked (but I don't cook a lot of chicken like that). Temperature was rock steady and I used very little (if any) lump. Then I grilled some steaks and some ears of corn. I've been grilling like that for a long time, so that was nothing special. But it was very easy to get going and again, I still can't tell that I've used any lump, at least any measurable amount.[p]My main reason for going with the BGE was the ease of smoking ribs, butts, etc, low and slow. I've got an offset that just requires constant attention. This looks (almost) like a "set it and forget it" operation. I can't wait to try a long low and slow cook, which will happen soon enough.[p]If I were you (and I was until a week ago) I wouldn't take my advice. But I can tell you I am 100% satisfied so far and I think you owe it to yourself to seriously consider the BGE. The fact it's less than half your budget is icing on the cake. This BGE is seriously quality cooking hardware. One last thing, during my BGE research I couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about it. Well, outside of some minor problems all products have (that were instantly corrected without question by BGE or dealers). But nothing like "the BGE is all hype" or "fails to live up to expectations". Nothing. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but if there were big problems like that, it would be easier to find out about them.[p]Good luck with your search and happy grilling!
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Allen,
    Last Aug. I was looking to buy a new grill after using a drum style for about 5/6 years. I was looking @ stainless at about $2500 for what I wanted and while searching found this forum.
    I bought a large & was so impressed I bought a second large for versatility & ease of multiple cooks.
    I have never regretted that decision.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• tn slagamater
    Options
    The Other White Meat, well said... Four years ago I went through the same evaluation. I read through two years of past archives, BGE user discussion, recipes, etc. I thought, it can NOT be THAT great...NO negatives, NO bad comments, BGE USERS BECOME FANATICS. I jumped in based on the "FORUM" and it is truly a life changing way to cook and EAT the BEST FOOD you will ever imagine..... Welcome to the cult!!

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    Allen,[p]Fifteen months ago my 55 gal. drum and my Weber gave up the ghost. Actually, they were well beyond junk a couple of years before that, but I just couldn't make the jump to a gasser. I looked at pellet cookers and the bar-b-chef, talked to sales people and surfed the web. I wanted to smoke and grill and a couple of merchants suggested the egg. In May I bought a large egg. In June my family gave me a small for Father's Day. Yesterday I bought another large at the Colorado Eggfest. [p]While I easily could, I don't want to echo everything others have said. I will add, however, that you won't find another cooker that seals the natural moisture and flavor into whatever you're cooking than an egg. Secondly, you're not likely to find another product that has the loyal following of its owners - from their willingness to share recipes, techniques, useful discoveries, and important events in their lives to the comaraderie they share on the forum and especially when they meet at the many eggfests that are sprouting up all over the country.[p]Hope we've all helped you make your decision.[p]Paul [p]
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Allen,
    I bought my egg 10 days ago. I've cooked he best steaks I've ever made. Seriously, my neighbors had been at Bob's Steak and Chop House the week before and they said my steaks were just as good. I've cooked a couple of chickens. I had 10 minutes to get things going and then left for 3 hours! When I came back (expecting two black lumps) the egg was holding steady at 275 just like when I left. The birds were awesome. I cooked a couple of salmon steaks and they came out juicy, and yesterday I cooked a dang turkey! It was a small turkey, but 325 for most of the day on one load of lump. [p]I researched the crap out of this purchase and couldn't find a single negative. I actively searched for "big green egg +lame" ..+crap ...+hype etc. I NEVER found a negative other than price. [p]I've had it a week and LOVE it. And so do my neighbors.[p]Ed

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Allen

It sounds like your quest fits the BGE perfectly. You will also find the single most unique thing about the egg is that regardless of what you cook on it the food is fantastic. The other thing is the fantastic support, ideas, reciepes and comeradiere that you get on the Web. For sure you will not regret getting an BGE (there are a couple of other manufactures of ceramic cookers. I did research them. And I selected sthe BGE because of quality issures and warrantees. The pricing seemed to be about the same. The principal behind the ceramic cookers are all the same. Regardless of which brand you get you will not be disappointed in the taste of the food.
  • Bama Hosta Man
    Options
    Allen,[p]I'm also a recent convert to the BGE faith. I considered one several years ago but just couldn't pull the trigger. It seemed to be a lot of money for a cooker outside of the mainstream. At that time I added a Holland to my collection. While I like many things about the Holland I really missed the seared flavor of a steak. [p]I found this forum last fall and spent months reviewing all of the old posts and searching other websites for negatives - I came up empty except for the price. I bought a large in March and picked up the following accessories: plate setter, cast iron grid and pizza stone. The first two weeks, I cooked on it every night. Since then I have tapered off to probably every other night. My waistline was having trouble with the nightly cookouts. My extended family loves the BGE and are always ready to taste test the latest recipe that I find on the forum.[p]When I mentioned to the wife that I was adding a second BGE to my wish list, she didn't hesitate to agree and then asked why wait? So in July I added an X-Large BGE. Last week my conversion became complete as I donated my faithful Bandera offset smoker to a local group. Good luck with your purchase!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    BamaHostaMan,[p]You may now step up and drink your Kool-aid!![p]LOL!!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!