Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Masked Griller~

Options
Today I reheated last night's tandoori chicken, in the microwave.  The texture was every bit as I remembered and it was surely very moist.  But the flavor was -much- better,  more nuance and depth.  It seems that I do inhale a lot of smoke from the cook which I think interferes with my taster.  I don't smoke tobacco or other smokes, and today's reheat was at the same level of my alcohol intake.  I am concluding that the charcoal smoke is reducing my ability to enjoy the meat right offa the grill.  So I am considering a filter mask for grilling like I use for wood projects sanding and painting.

Tonight's reheat was way good!  Much better than what I had last night.....

Dave

no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Counter: 

1.The flavors had time to blend.  Like soup.
    2. Your microwave is well seasoned.  Imparting that special "Ive never washed it" flavor
    3. Profit
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Diggin' counter response #1, good point, unsure what you mean regarding 2 & 3...  The microwave is clean, and this was not for sale???

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Diggin' counter response #1, good point, unsure what you mean regarding 2 & 3...  The microwave is clean, and this was not for sale???

Dave

2 and 3 were bad jokes.  Sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

http://youtu.be/tO5sxLapAts
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Scent is a huge part of taste so you are spot-on(try drinking wine while holding your nose). Being exposed to a scent "washes out" your olfactory receptors, making you "used" to the scent and dulling it. This is why your house smells(not necessarily different) after a week away on vacation or how someone with dogs doesn't notice how their house smells while visitors do.

I might try to bring home a N95 mask to test this.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Anytime we are having "MAKE AHEADS" i stay out by the egg and drink beer, maybe an hour before dinner time, the wife calls me when the micro shut off, and by the time i get inside to the table, it tastes like it just came off the egg !! :-??
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Its not only that your sense of smell is flooded with the scent of smoke, but if you have been hanging out by the egg, especially during lighting, your hair, clothes and skin pick up smoke. Smoked/bbq food always tastes better to me a day or two later. I have heard some folks always take a shower, shampoo their hair, and change into fresh clothes before eating bbq they have made so that they can enjoy the taste more. So a mask/respirator alone may not change much.

Indian food (or other food with spices) tastes better a day or so later, once the flavors have come together. i usually cook Indian curries and such a day ahead, with the intention of eating them the next day, for that reason.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I rarely eat the night I cook. What everyone else said you are in smoke overload. Did you get my PM?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I cooked the day before a doctor's appointment.  As i left for my appointment, i felt old and i grabbed my jacket!!  As the nurse came in to take my blood pressure, she mentioned "i smell BBQ!".  I had to explain to her it was my jacket !!! ;;)
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    If I've been on the deck tending the Egg (and drinking Boulevard Wheat), I try to shower and change so that I can enjoy the smoke flavor.  Even then, everything tastes much smokier the next day... and my microwave smells like smoke.  
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    I rarely eat the night I cook. What everyone else said you are in smoke overload. Did you get my PM?
    Did not get a message...or it got erased...
    Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    something that i find very strong the next day, and even hard to eat sometimes, is pizza.  I have thrown out a few thick crust pizzas that were just way way too smokey the next day but amazing the day I cooked them. 

XLBGE 
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    After receiving a Dizzy Pig sampler pack, I am cooking two racks of St.Louis style ribs following the Dizzy Pig recipe.  I have had a filter mask on since just after lighting the coals, and I will continue to wear the mask for apple juice/cider spritzing as well.  So far I have noticed my hands and shirt smelling much more smoky than usual, so I think my smeller is benefiting from the protection.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    The results of wearing a mask during the cooking, then keeping the ribs in the oven on warm while showering and clean clothes before eating, the evening of the cook:

Becky and I both feel the ribs were good but a bit 'sharp', maybe because I used more apple cider than apple juice in the spritzing.

The next day reheated in a 200 degree oven:

Excellent taste, we both agree that the sharpness has been mellowed and adds in a good way to the numerous flavors that are part of the Dizzy Pig Rubs.

So perhaps it is like rtt121 suggested, the flavors meld and merge together over time in the fridge.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR