Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking fo a proven Cuban sandwich recipe

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody out there in Eggland got a Cuban sandwich recipe that they like and wouldn't mind sharing? Occassionaly I used to order them at a chain restaruant called Italian Johnnies - but they have since dropped them from their menu.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    RRP, this is NOT an 'authentic' recipe, but if you remove the 'optional' ingredient, it's close ;)[p]Get a nice hunk of good Cuban Bread, 8-9 inches long, and split. Butter both sides and then add some mustard and spread evenly. On the bottom slice of bread add one layer of Swiss cheese. On top of that add 2-3 oz of thinly sliced ham. Now, this is optional, put 2 or 3 slices of salami over the ham. Add 2-3 oz of Egg smoked pork loin (the rib end is perfect). Now, put some sliced Dill pickle chips across the whole top of the sandwich. Add another layer of Swiss Cheese. Top with the other slice of the bread. Squash down with your hands. I put into a frying pan with a firebrick on top to keep it pressed down. Heat both sides until cheese starts to melt. Remove from pan and cut across diagonally from one end to the other. Serve. Folks really liked the touch of the salami, but it's not necessary.[p]I'm glad you brought this up. Cooking this indirect on the Egg would be fabulous ;)

• Ron,[p]This is a good website for Cuban sandwiches. [p]Dave

[ul][li]Cuban[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    To both Steve and Dave,
    Thanks guys! Now my first hurdle is going to be trying to find Cuban bread up here in the flatlands of Illinois! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Old Dave,
    Thanks Dave. I had this linked back a couple of years ago and lost it. I had completely forgotten about it and am pretty glad to have it back now.[p]Great site.[p]Do you have a favorite Cuban bread recipe you'd be willing to share? The one I do is part challah, part brioche and part french.

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    RRP,
    Made some cubano rolls today and will make sandwitches tonight. WWW. holahabana.com

• Bobby-Q,[p]I started out just making simple French bread for this treat but now use another recipe that seems to work well for more than the Cuban sandwiches. If fact, I use this for my hoogie rolls, garlic bread, Subway type buns, and several Italian treats. It is a killer roll and comes from Father Dominic with some small changes. Since I don't remember how you do your bread, I will start with a bread machine recipe but can send you another for a KA or also just making by hand if that is the way you do your bread. [p]This will make 6 rolls.[p]1 cup + 3TBL water
    1/2tsp honey
    3 cups bread flour
    1/2tsp salt
    1/2 cup shreadded Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 cup shreadded Cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup minced onion
    3/4tsp crushed red pepper
    Packet of quick rise yeast[p]Measure out the flour in a bowl and add the cheese and mix well. Then follow the directions on your bread machine on the order that the rest of the ingredients go into the machine. Most are all liquid first and then dry ingredients. Set the machine for the dough only cycle and this should take about 90 minutes. [p]Flour up a counter top, take the dough out and place it on the counter, and let it rest for about 10 minutes covered with a clean dish towel. Divide into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an oval. Place on a greased or Pamed cookie sheet or baking pan. Cover and let them proof again until the rolls are almost doubled in size in a warm draft-free place. Maybe about 30 minutes. [p]MVC-013E.jpg[p]This batch was made for pulled pork sandwiches and are kinda fat and wide but you can make them any size you want. I also brushed these with butter and added some seeds.[p]7MVC-014E.jpg[p]This picture shows the rolls on the large Egg with about 6-7 minutes to go. This bake was done with an indirect setup on a raised grid at 375 dome temp. As always, with any type of bread, you need a clean fire. It will take about 20 minutes or until they are a little brown on top. [p]MVC-016E.jpg[p]This picture shows the results of the bake. This is a pulled pork sandwich (hoogie style) with a little veggies. I split the rolls and then took them back outside and grilled the rolls for a few minutes as we like them this way and it is very easy to do. [p]I hope you try this recipe as it is just super and will work well for many treats and is very easy to do as is all pan baking in the Egg. [p]Dave

• clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    Old Dave,[p]would you mind posting the KA version of this bread[p]Thanks,
    Lee

• clweed,[p]For 12 rolls [p]2 pkg quick yeast
    1 tsp honey
    2 cups luke warm water not over 110 degrees
    1 tsp salt
    1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1 cup shreadded Monterey Jack cheese
    1/2 cup shreadded Cheddar cheese
    6-1/2 to 7 cups of all purpose flour[p]Warm up mixer bowl under hot running water at the sink. Empty out and add the 2 cups of luke warm water, the yeast and honey and stir and let set for about 6-8 minutes. Add salt, hot pepper flakes, and minced onion. Flat beater this on speed 2 for about 15-20 seconds or until it is mixed well. In another bowl, mix about 5 cups of the AP flour and all the cheese together and mix it up well with a spoon or your hands. Add about 2 cups of the flour and cheese to the mixer bowl and start mixing on speed 2 with the flat beater and then keep adding at about 1/2 cup at a time and waiting until it gets incorporated until it starts to get sticky and then replace the flat beater with the dough hook. Again, keep adding the flour and cheese mix and then just use straight flour until the dough is pulling away from the sides and is not sticky on the bottom. May take more of less flour than the recipe. When you get the dough right, start the kneading timer and it needs to go about 7 minutes more on speed two. Flour up a counter top and turn the dough out on it and work the dough for about a minute with your hands to get any bubbles out. Oil up your proofing bowl and place the dough into it and then turn it over as you want the dough oiled on both sides. Cover with a clean dry towel and put it in a warm draft-free place for the 1st proof. Let it rise until just less than double in bulk. Maybe about 40-50 minutes but DO NOT let this bread go over double in bulk in this proof. Punch down and take the dough to the counter top and knead briefly by hand to get the large air bubbles out. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form your loaves or buns and place them on your baking pan. Cover with a towel and let them proof again until a little less than double (maybe 20 minutes) and place them on your cooker at 375 dome degrees. This larger amount will probably take around 35 to 40 minutes or until they are browned up on top like you want them. You may need to turn your baking pan once during the bake to get them all browned even as this will depend on your pan baking setup.[p]Good luck and be sure to put pictures up of your bake. [p]Dave [p]