Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First spatchcock chicken

So I decided to finally try to spatchcock a chicken. Below are the before and after pictures. It turned out great. I may be convinced to never cook a whole chicken any other way. Wondering why I waited nine months to try this.

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited April 2013
    What kinda rub did you throw on that there bird.

Looks great!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Looks great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    It had weber chicken and rib seasoning. I also sprayed it with nonstick spray and coated it on top.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Great job. I agree...no reason to cook beer can chicken again.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Take the skin off next time and cook the same way. Just as moist and way more flavor from the rub.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The only way I cook them
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Like most of us who grew up on spinning birds or those perched on a beer can, it is hard to believe that a split (spatchcock) chicken actually works so well. 
    You will discover you can cook them direct or indirect, flipped or bone down and forget them, skinless, skin on rub on the skin, rub under the skin, injected.... it is amazing how many ways you can cook a great tasting bird. 
    Nice bird!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Welcome to the zoo, and the bird looks great --  wait til your wife tells you -- "i love chicken, and this is very good, but can we try something else next week?"....
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    She said it was great and not blocky like I have made before.  But followed that up t with can we have something other than chicken tomorrow.  I said sure I have a packer brisket in the fridge that I picked up a few days ago at WalMart for $1.81 a pound.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Well, it's not a money issue, but as an example, when i came across brining chickens with "chickite" prior to the cook, it made such a difference i had to try it about eight times to make sure before i recommended it to anyone!!  Not eight chicken dinners in a row, well, like every other night!!  :D
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I love the set up to raise the grill. Little tiny terra cotta pots. Who would have thought?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    You nailed it! Good work!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Solid first spatchcock, you done good man.
    :)>-
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Firemanyz
    I use those tiny terra cotta pots to also raise my pizza stone up off of the platesetter also. They are two inch pots and I think I paided .25 cents for them. Thought it was worth a try and they never worked great.
  • Firemanyz
    Auto correct sucks. It should say I thought it was worth a try and they have worked great.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Great looking chicken!  =D>

Really like the homemade raised grate with the little potts! Nicely done! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.