Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Direct chicken

henapplehenapple Posts: 14,595
Wings tonight. I've always gone indirect but would like to try direct how do you cook them without that burnt taste? I'm doing too many to go high in the dome.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• raised at or above felt line, at 350 for 40 mins. also toss them in cornstarch first for a crispy exterior.  getting me hungry just thinking about them
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,595
    I'm doing @griffin garlic and my wet wings.... Still toss? Thanks
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,309
    can ya just get raised direct? like not cosmic raised just felt line. 425, 30-45 min or so. I still pull off and toss with sauce and put back on for another 5 min or so after they are done and have a char

XLBGE 
    ·
    My wet wings are... Cholula and butter, dip and cook and dip when I turn.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707
    I have gone with indirect and direct raised grid-I prefer the direct raised grid.  Here's a link to a great recipe site- http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/06/30-20-10-smoked-hot-wings.html .  I have settled on his 30-20-10 approach (but direct vs indirect) and they are always a hit.  I try to let them sit uncovered in a fridge over night-seems to help but not a requirement. 
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    direct on a raised grill, 285 dome, cook skin side down first to get the skin started. if you keep the temps down you can even cook a couple greasy ducks without getting that burned flavour, smokes like crazy, daisy loads up with white grease, and no burnt grease flavor
    ·
  • I cook them raised (to the felt line) and direct for about an hour at ~300F.  I dust the skin with cornstarch and cook them skin side up for the majority of the cook.
    wings.jpg 363K
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·

I cook them raised (to the felt line) and direct for about an hour at I ~300F.  I dust the skin with cornstarch and cook them skin side up for the majority of the cook.

Do you cook them with sauce or sauce them at the end?
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003

Just takes more vigilance going direct.  I get my grate temp to 350 and flip every 4 or 5 minutes, and rotate the grate one quarter turn each time I flip.  The grate rotation eliminates any hot spot action going on in your lump.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • henapple said:
    I cook them raised (to the felt line) and direct for about an hour at I ~300F.  I dust the skin with cornstarch and cook them skin side up for the majority of the cook.
    Do you cook them with sauce or sauce them at the end?
    I mix with sauce after they cook.

wings2.jpg 314K
    wings3.jpg 193.7K
    wings4.jpg 258.6K
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    dlk7 said:

Just takes more vigilance going direct.  I get my grate temp to 350 and flip every 4 or 5 minutes, and rotate the grate one quarter turn each time I flip.  The grate rotation eliminates any hot spot action going on in your lump.

Never thought about rotating my grate! Awesome idea!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
    Thanks guys... And gals. Will try tonight.
    ·
  • LBC DawgLBC Dawg Posts: 112
    I do em raised direct all the time. 275-300. i also rotate the grid. the dizzy pig site has the best crispy wings recipe i've ever done.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    with the direct cook i find they cook better if you cut them up, drummettes and wingettes. put the drummettes to the back and wingettes to the front to take advantage of the hot spot in back
    ·
    I have all drums
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    Are they ready yet? They sound like they're gonna be good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    I know your already done, but I do them raised direct 350-400. 30 minutes flip for 20 minutes, then sauce and cook for 10 more minutes. Always good.
    wings.jpg 84.1K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    I'm with Fishless and the other 275-300 guys, raised direct. Wings need some time....not like thighs, but 45 minutes to an hour of slowly browning the outside makes some dang good wings.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have the best results cooking indirect but high in the dome - no turning and cooked at 350 degrees.  I sauce them after cooking on the egg and serve..
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,148
    Either way works, indirect at 350 or raised direct at 300. Lots of info above, toss in sauce after the cook if you like crisp skin. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    I ended up going indirect. Had so much going on I just went the usual way. Still good.
    ·
    Oh, thanks for all the suggestions. Will try direct next time.
    ·