Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough - Antimo Caputo Tipo Flour

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I have used the 2.2 pound red bag of this flour and the pizza has been great.  It is time to order some more and I see that there are red bag and a blue bag versions of this flour.  Does anyone know if there is a difference between these two flours?  Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• CigarSmokinEgger
    CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
    edited April 2013
    Options

I've never been able to get a clear difference between the two except that Blue is designated "pizza" and the Red for "general use."  I can only get the Red locally and use it regularly for pizza.  I found the following on a site that sells both:

"CAPUTO "00"  "PIZZERIA" - (Blue Bag) * Available in 25kg (55lbs) or 5lb bags.

A very elastic gluten and soft starch favour the formation of mixures with very good moisturizing, light, with perfect leavening, which satisfies the needs of the best pizza making masters. Ideal for the classical neopolitan pizza.

CAPUTO "00" "CHEF'S FARINA" (Red Bag)  Available in 1kg (2.2) bags or a 10 pack of 1kg bags total 22lbs

Flour with elastic and resistant gluten, for consistent mixtures with a fragrant taste. Easy to work and with excellent results for pizzas, tradition roasting dishes and sweets to get tasty products with long leavening dough. Ideal for restaurants and pizza shops that need a handy shape and easy use. "

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have read that the blue is a little more finely ground and better in cooler climates.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I am pretty sure Farina is made from wheat other than durum and flour is made with durum.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I've used both and like the blue better. As Eggcelsior mentioned, it's finer. It also needs more heat than the red bag does. The crust was a lil more light and had better crunch.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I made some naan and squash curry the other night with the red bag stuff. It was mind blowing. I thought I was back in eastern Afghanistan. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.