Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Colorado Eggfest had a GREAT turnout!!!

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1011_1.jpg
<p />Our very tired but happy hosts, would like to thank all of them, sorry about the bad photo... and to think i made you guys stand there that long and this was the best i could do...:-([p]I just got back from the eggfest in Denver and i will say that the Outdoor Kitchen did a GREAT JOB in putting this thing together. Live entertainment along with a local radio station doing a live broadcast. Based on who would make it from the forum I wasn't sure what kind of turnout there would be, but Jen and Duane really pushed it locally to make more people aware about the eggfest.[p]IMG_1001_1.jpg[p]the entertainment for the afternoon, and a team member of Colorado Q. guess they took GRAND CHAMPION at Dillon Co. just a few weeks ago!!![p]In the short time i was there, I met a few friends, and made several more. turns out there are a whole bunch of eggers that are unaware of this forum but are just as nuts about the egg as we are. There must have been a couple hundred folks hanging out in the smoke talkin EGG.[p]they had doorprizes every fifteen minutes, food better, than i can cook, coming off 11 eggs the entire time. I hate to say it, but I think we had eyes bigger than our stomachs.[p]great bunch of folks that I would love to touch base with again.[p]here are a few pics that i took while there[p]IMG_1007_1.jpg[p]now if you are wondering what she is carrying so carefully its a 'dinasour egg'[p]IMG_1008_1.jpg[p]guess what he plans on doing???[p]
IMG_1006_1.jpg[p]Greg turns out to be an 8 year veteran with his egg and based on this spread, he's got it down.[p]IMG_1003_1.jpg[p]and here is jim ribber, and he is PROUD of them ribs!!![p]IMG_1009_1.jpg[p]and guess who i ran into...Papa Q !!![p]I could try and run off list of all the different food that was cooked but all can really say is that the cooks did a great job on everything they prepared[p]there were a few others there and i hope they poke their heads in and say HI...[p]Scott

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    eggor,[p]Thanks for the great report! Thanks too for all the pics.[p]Sorry I couldn't make it, we've had a rough week (had to put Rocky to sleep) and Valerie and I needed to take some time off. So we hiked a couple of lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park. Good therapy for us.[p]Anyway I'm looking forward to getting back into the "egg" of things, forum too.[p]Chuck[p]
  • eggor
    Options
    chuckls,[p]sorry to hear about Rocky, when i saw him, he was looking pretty tired. pretty tough losing a good friend. [p]After i got back from the eggfest i had to visit my father in law who is in ICU up here in Fort Collins. He's a tough old bird and will hopefully pull this off.[p]here is something that was posted in memory of, that i saved and want to pass along.[p]If I Should Grow Frail
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain does keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done
    For this - the last battle - can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand
    But don't let grief then stay your hand.
    For on this day, more than the rest
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end.
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must now be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close - we two - these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears. [p]
    fond memories, of 'Rocky', to your family[p]Scott[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eggor,[p]Thanks for the pics and update. Looks like a good time was had by all! If you remember, work kept me from making Chuck's mini-fest, and today was spent checking the gear and loading up for an 8 day camping trip through the Snowy Range in the Medicine Bow NF. I did make time to make some pulled pork and a pastrami to take along. Oh well, maybe next year.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • chuckls
    Options
    eggor,[p]Thank you for that poem, it is very thoughtful of you to post it. [p]Best wishes to you and your family for your father-in-law's recovery.[p]Chuck
  • eggor
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]sounds like you and i may be a stones throw from each other in the next couple weeks. I'll be on the colorado side trying to bugle in a bull elk. If you wake up to an earie sqeel in the early morning you'll know who it is...LOL[p]Scott

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eggor,[p]You must be bow hunting in the Roosevelt or Routt? I'm taking my call along too.....Most likely the bulls will be running to cover, maybe they will head your way. [p]Good hunting[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggor
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]just remembered that i didn't draw the elk tag that we applied for, so it will just be deer tags. will be back in the same area two weeks later for regular rifle season for elk up in the raywahs.[p]I hunt with a TC Hawken muzzle loader, never thought i could throw a stick fast enough or accurate to try bow hunting. Enjoy your trip.

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    eggor,[p]I'll second the big pat on the back for Jennifer and the the whole Outdoor Kitchen crew. They did a marvelous job. I, too, had a great time cooking, meeting other eggheads, and sampling all the great food. It was a very nice event and hopefully it will be even larger next year.[p]I was also surprised by the number of folks there that either didn't know about the forum or, if they knew, didn't seem to visit often. Although I've been terribly busy since my trip to Mazatlan in February and haven't been posting as frequently as I would like to, I've been lurking in the background keeping up with forum events and downloading recipes with regularity. [p]Thanks for posting your pictures and good luck with the elk. I look forward to eating some more of your elk jerky. [p]Paul
  • PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    chuckls,[p]I missed you at the eggfest Saturday, but I certainly understand the circumstances. I remember Rocky from our minifest last spring and that we talked about about what the aging process had taken from him. While this was not unexpected, the reality of it is always painful. Please accept my condolances.[p]Paul

• chuckls
    Options
    Paul,
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Chuck

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Well, I missed it. A last minute opportunity take a trip to Jordan arose. Hmmm ... Jordan or Colorado EggFest? Guess there will be a next year for CoEggFest! I had been looking forward to it though - I'd given them my email address when they had the bash when DrBBQ was in town a year ago, or so.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    thanks for the report and the pics looks great
  • eggor
    Options
    Pakak,
    good to hear from you, one of the denver eggers(i forgot his name) was hoping to see you there also. Hows it going, you should have been the obviously my photography has a way to go...[p]Scott

• eggor,[p]Thanks for thinking were the Grand Champions from the recent BBQ contest in Dillon. Wish we were. It was only our 2nd competition. Thanks to the EGG, we did do ok as newbies to the BBQ circiut. Below were our results:[p]COLORADO Q
    Using "The Big Green Egg"

83 Competition Teams
    40 out of state 43 Colorado teams

Overall Colorado Teams[p]Overall 9th 2nd
    Brisket 2nd 1st
    Pork Butt 6th 2nd
    Ribs 16th 8th
    Side Dish 2nd 2nd

This was only the 2nd competition for Colorado Q.
    First time ever to make a Brisket and only the second time to make a Pork Butt.
    Must give a lot of the credit to "The Big Green Egg".
    Many competition teams spend the night up babysitting the temperature of their inefficient smokers.
    With the egg we just stabilize the temperature once and forget it till done.

Jeff

• JackOHeart
    Options
    Kudos to the Outdoor Kitchen staff.
    Best Eggfest yet
    Great food, great people, great time!
    Even the weather was great (but what else do we expect in Colorado!)