Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ gloves?

What do you guys use to handle the rigors of grilling? :)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

whatever you do, dont use rubber heat insulated meat-pulling gloves to remove a hot wok from an egg. Dont ask me how I know that L-)

Right now I have a pair of elbow length welders gloves that work pretty well. I wouldn't hold a hot platesetter and recite the alphabet, but for quick touches they do the trick.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bobbymcG
    bobbymcG Posts: 13
    Thanks! And I won't ask how you know it. But I'm pretty sure it was in a similar, roundabout way as when I learned to not flail an arm inside an oven. Permanently imprinted knowledge. :P
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    I have a pair of structural firefighting gloves.  They work great for handling everything from the grate to the placesetter and are easy to work with.  Unfortunately they aren't  much for actually working with the meat.  I haven't tried any of the rubber insulated gloves yet but would love to get a pair after hearing some of the recommendations that I hope to see in this thread.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I have a pair of structural firefighting gloves.

Are these different from normal firefighters gloves? I have a pair of the kevlar ones and they are great. They went awefully stiff on me but they were the best ive had. Do you have a source?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 on the fire-fighting gloves.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Right now I'm using a pair of these (I know sacrilege!): 
    After finding out the hard way I burnt a hole in a finger of the pair of welders gloves I had. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have some leather welders gloves or bbq gloves...something like these:

These are good for getting a hot plate setter out of the egg, or carrying a hot grid. 

...and also a pair of the rubber "meat gloves".  Something like these:

...good for removing hot food and also for pulling butts.  I did accidentally grab the plate setter with the food gloves once and they melted a little! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    i use a pair of insulated work gloves,they seem to work good,u get a good grip,and r thick enuff u dont get the heat through to fast(long enuff to take off the grill and remove the plate setter). just make sure u r prepared with aplace to put the ps and grill down! B-)
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Another fan of Structural Firefighting gloves. I have been to stretch XXL Nitrle gloves over my gloves to keep the grease off.  
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128

Are these different from normal firefighters gloves? I have a pair of the kevlar ones and they are great. They went awefully stiff on me but they were the best ive had. Do you have a source?

The structural gloves are well insulated...there are also wildland gloves, extrication gloves, work gloves etc.  If you go to any Firefighter supply store online you'll find them.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • tazcrash
    Those gloves look great.... but like almost everything else egg related. expensive. 

Looks like I might have to raid my friend's locker at his job when I go back to NY. :D
    I'll bring the house some ribs. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Little Steven
    I wanted to wait till I got home to be sure of the name of the ones I'm using now. Pit Mitts are pretty good but nowhere near as good as the firefighhter's gloves

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have a pair of these and I'll grab the platesetter after a pizza cook and move it without hesitation.

http://www.metalclaysupply.com/Zetex-Plus-High-Heat-Resistant-Gloves-p/59995.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Welding gloves for hot work, I go through tons of Nitrile gloves handling food.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Kruegs said:

The structural gloves are well insulated...there are also wildland gloves, extrication gloves, work gloves etc.  If you go to any Firefighter supply store online you'll find them.
    Thanks Kruegs! I haven't had any luck online. Mind you, I am only looking on Canadian supplys

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have a pair of rubber gloves that I got from www.texasbbqrub.com

They work great for taking out the grid, platesetter, etc and for grabbing a pork butt off the egg.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    I bought the welding gloves from Lowes (start with a K). DONT GET THOSE!!! Lets just say, if you grab your ceramic plate setter for more than, oh I don't know....5 seconds, you will be going for ice.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Correction...that was supposed to be .5 seconds.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Ove Gloves work well for me. Ive removed the plate setter with them without a problem.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I cant believe what I am reading. I have used a pair of $9.99 black leather gloves from Academy for two years. I wok with them and I can pull a 900 degree plate setter out with no issue. 

I also have a super cheap pair of insulated rubber gloves from Harbor Freight. They work great for touching food. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I cant believe what I am reading. I have used a pair of $9.99 black leather gloves from Academy for two years. I wok with them and I can pull a 900 degree plate setter out with no issue. 

I also have a super cheap pair of insulated rubber gloves from Harbor Freight. They work great for touching food. 
    Me too, 'cept mine are brown (well, the PALMS are black now...)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    My ex-GF's sister bought me these many years ago: 

and, while I would've never bought them myself, find them GREAT for lifting a cooked chicken, butt, or brisket out of the Egg and onto a cutting board.  Glad I have them.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Maybe ur gf sister giving you gifts is the reason she is now an ex?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Naw, she was just generous, as was her whole family.
    And gay.  
    ;)

• Kosko said:
    Here's what I use. Haven't been burned yet!image

You must have hands of steel. ;) I use an extra pair of firefighting gloves. They work like a champ!! Free (for me) and efficient.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • tazcrash
    edited April 2013
    Kosko said:

Here's what I use. Haven't been burned yet!image

I guess the ironic thing here is that the hands are the 1 thing NOT covered.

Now that would be handy with that nuclear flashback I had.

Oops just saw fire medic noticed the same thing.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Little Steven
    That looks like the arc flash suits we have to wear now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have two of the pamperd chef grill mitts, working good so far for pulling hot pieces out.