Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasket on my Large

My gasket finally came apart on my Large. I have been cooking without one a few times .... is there any reason to replace it ? Seems like it does fine without a gasket.
·

Comments

• Does smoke seep out between the top and bottom halves? Regardless, I think you need to put a gasket on there.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Any additional air leakage in your gasket area will reduce your ability to maintain lower temperatures, and will also increase your egg's cool down time, meaning it will burn up more lump!  If you can live with that, go without one?
    ·
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    I lived without a gasket for a long time, but recently replaced it. It seems a bit easier to keep a stable temperature now. I'd replace it.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Also, another advantage is the gasket gives a cushion for the egg to close on.  I have the "rutland" and it is about  1/8th of an inch thick. 
    ·
  • lilwootylilwooty Posts: 208
    I have recently sided with the pro gasket camp.  I went over a year with a fried gasket on my XL.  Didn't think it was that big of a deal.  After I replaced it, I am now using about 25% less lump than before.  When I snuff my fire now it goes out a lot faster.  Ditto on the previous posts about the easier control of low temps too.

Living Large and XL

·
  • I like a gasket, but plenty of well respected eggheads here go "Commando".

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,888
    But I've been using a toasted gasket for about 9 months now. I have a replacement from bge in the garage just haven't messed with it yet. It does leak some smoke, but haven't noticed any major lump loss or temp control issues. I'm just being lazy. And will also be lazy and replace only the bottom when I do.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·

I like a gasket, but plenty of well respected eggheads here go "Commando".

I don't have a clue who these "respected" people are. Must be another forum.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,475
    I'm always egging commando, That's why I don't post many pics. The neighbors definitely don't respect me.
    ·

I'm always egging commando, That's why I don't post many pics. The neighbors definitely don't respect me.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Hey....is that my wife??
    ·