Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What is your grocery/household budget a month?

Including toiletries (toothpaste, etc.) we try and keep to around $400, it is tough to stick in that budget with a family of 5.

How about you?

Comments

• jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    we do about 130 / week.  theres 4 of us
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    since the beginning of this year ive been keeping it below 20 dollars a week for the most part, that includes eating out. it also helps to be on a diet
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I need to reevaluate. There are 3 of us with one being 3 years old. We spend $90-120 week in food. Never eat out.
    Probably another $150-200 in other stuff. So I guess average $650-750?
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd have to ask the boss... Since buying the egg I don't want to know. I will say we never eat out but she's warned me about another $70 prime rib roast.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Wow.  I did a Quicken report from last year.  Came out to about $550/month for the two of us.  Of course, in that figure is non food items from the grocery store.

Still ......... no wonder I'm fat.  
    :@)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I am with Fan.... I need to seriously rethink mine. I would venture to say I am around $800 a month. Just me, SWMBO, and a 9.5 month old. I eat lunch out with clients most days though, and SWMBO gets egged leftovers. 8-|
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited April 2013
    Our Walmart/Kroger bills run around 500$ a month. But that includes some gas and other house hold stuff.

Prolly 75$ a week on food for 2 adults, 1 one year old

We prolly eat out 2 meals a week, I take my lunch every day from leftovers. You wanna save some money, PACK YOUR LUNCH!!!

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I go to a store or market pretty much every day. I'm a sucker for the specials and my freezers are full. Never seem to defrost anything though. I would guess all of 500/week including sundries

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    About $900 a month for a family of four. This includes household goods. Even being really careful it's hard to go much lower than this living in SoCal.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

Our Walmart/Kroger bills run around 500$ a month. But that includes some gas and other house hold stuff.

Prolly 75$ a week on food for 2 adults, 1 one year old

We prolly eat out 2 meals a week, I take my lunch every day from leftovers. You wanna save some money, PACK YOUR LUNCH!!!

Sadly I do pack my lunch everyday unless traveling for work. And in that situation I get reimbursed so I didn't count that towards total.
    Boom
  • henapple
    Chubbs said:

I am with Fan.... I need to seriously rethink mine. I would venture to say I am around $800 a month. Just me, SWMBO, and a 9.5 month old. I eat lunch out with clients most days though, and SWMBO gets egged leftovers. 8-|

She's the lucky one then...
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Since my food saver I've started buying a lot more special meat sales and freezing stuff.

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Wow.  I did a Quicken report from last year.  Came out to about $550/month for the two of us.  Of course, in that figure is non food items from the grocery store.

Still ......... no wonder I'm fat.  
    :@)
    I keep mine in Numbers, but like VI for the two of us, $465/month for 2012 and that excludes non-food. I agree, no wonder I'm fat!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    You guys are making me feel bad. My wife makes the list, but I go to the store. There are 4 of us, and we never eat out. 4 of us eat breakfast and dinner at home everyday. My wife and I eat lunch at home everyday and my kids take their lunch to school. 

I spend around $275 to $300 every week at the store. That usually includes paper towels, cleaning products etc. 

It always seemed high to me. Sounds like it really is. :(  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    It's not very cheap at my house right now. There is the wife and I along with 5 kids ages 16(boy), 14(girl), 12(girl), 7(girl), 4(boy). The oldest two train for cross country and track year round so their appetites are through the roof! We try to keep it at $350 per week, but usually spend around $450 per week. That is just groceries not including tolietries. We rarely go out to eat because it costs me at least a $50 bill just to eat at McDonalds. They all are in love with anything that comes off the egg anyway.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257

roughly 1200 per month, feeding 5 kids isnt cheap, but thankfully if I do a big cook over the weekend they will eat it up throughout the week. 

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • henapple
    Does this budget include beer?
  • henapple
    Dammit.... I thought the $200 a week was just beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Crap. I need to rework mine then.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    There are 3 of us here...

My weekly shopping at Wegmans runs about $150 to $200 depending if I throwing the bulk paper goods in there.

Eating low carb most of the time tends to run it higher. I have to bypass the canned raviolis at $.50 a can, no big bowls of cheap pasta... buying fresh or cryo meats, fish, etc costs a little more

This doesn't count for beer and liquor, or cigars if you're counting :))
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    With these budgets are you buying organic, grassfed etc etc? Very interesting to see this.
    Lynnwood WA
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    We buy organic fruits and veggies for the most part, we shop very seasonally and when things are on sale we stock up (chickens on sale we buy 4-6 of them), We also do can about 160 lbs of produce a summer, we freeze probably another 40 - 50lbs. This year we are hoping to try pickling!

Our meat we buy from the local butcher, it is not organic, nor grass fed, but much much better quality than I get in the stores, I trust um.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    double said:
    With these budgets are you buying organic, grassfed etc etc? Very interesting to see this.
    I buy as local as possible and as organic as possible. Being on a first name basis with the butcher/farmer/etc. is much better than grabbing stuff out of a refrigerated case for me. I prefer rolling farmland to strip malls, anyway. I can afford it so I do my part.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Mine is buying the crappy great value brand at Walmart and not buying any organic food at all.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    About $200 a week. That excludes booze and eating out. We don't eat out much.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    @travisstrick... So with booze you're at $400 a week?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    henapple said:

@travisstrick... So with booze you're at $400 a week?

At least.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    We are about $200 a week, that includes unlimited feeding to my 13 year old boy that runs track..