Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Position, Isn't it all Indirect?

Just curious but regardless of legs up, legs down, isn't using the plate setter an indirect cook?  Not looking to stir up a hornets nest but honestly curious.  Thanks!

Comments

• Yes unless the food is hanging over the edge between the plate setter and egg. Then it's a direct cook on that small area of meat
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2013
    Very true, legs up gives you space for a drip pan, i seldom use the platesetter legs down.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I use leg up for everything except pizzas.  Is this wrong?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I always use legs up unless I am cooking directly on the platesetter.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Older videos and pictures from BGE showed the setter used legs up for indirect felt line cooks with space for a drip pan and legs down with a pizza stone on the setter for pizza. It became obvious that the pizza set-up and higher temps used pretty much destroys gaskets. The current pizza recommendation is legs up, grid at the felt line and stone (many raise the stone higher into the dome using bricks extenders etc...) This seems to give gaskets a longer life.
    Legs down is still OK for using the top of the setter when baking, with or without a stone, as dome temps are typically below 400 and will not fry gaskets. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    For the vast majority of indirect cooks I've always figured it was best to have some air circulating below the meat - so legs up seems to be the way to go.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I do legs up also even for pizza.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like my plate setter like I like my women.  

Lord, I apologize. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.