Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First meatloaf

bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by @Griffin to smoke my first meatloaf. After a quick run to Tom Thumb, I was ready to go. 1lb 80/20 mixed with 1lb 93/7 Sautéed onion and celery Italian seasoned croutons Wheat bread 2 eggs Extra sharp cheddar Worcestershire sauce Tabasco chipotle Salt and pepper Slap Yo Mama (my favorite seasoning) Garland Jacks BBQ sauce/ketchup on top 400* with plate setter legs down. Jack Daniels oak barrel wood chips. I put so much thought into the meatloaf, I didn't even think about sides, so I just warmed-up a can of corn. Not to brag or boast, but it was by far the best meatloaf I have ever eaten. Here are a few pics.
Large BGE Dallas, TX
image.jpg 681.8K
image.jpg 859.2K
image.jpg 1.9M

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,099
    That looks great!  Bragging and boasting is welcome.   I would be surprised if you told me it wasn't the best meatloaf you ever had ;).   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caneggercanegger Posts: 538
    Can't beat meatloaf off the egg. Looks good
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,349
    Nice. Meatloaf on the egg is a winner
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    Manloaf!

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,910
    Meatloaf on the egg is so good!  =P~

Your recipe sounds great! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Good looking loaf, but I would only do 1 thing different. If the loaf can stand on it's own, don;t use foil so you get a good crust all around. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    edited April 2013
    @tazcrash, the foil was to keep the drippings on the plate setter and to keep it from sticking.  I could wrap the plate setter next time to protect it, but how would you keep it from sticking to the grate?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,505
    Not to brag or boast............. Why the hell not, looks good.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    I've made 3 so far. 1 on the SS, 2 on the CI. Maybe it's the oil I put down on the grate, maybe the fat content, but I didn't have that problem. 

FWIW, I use a drip pan under the loaf. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gpsegggpsegg Posts: 367
    Let me suggest forming and cooking the meatloaf on a wood plank with the plank serving as the indirect tool. Outstanding! 400 degrees for about an hour to internal temperature of 170.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.