Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Saturday Results - First Butt with pics

With thanks to @ChalieTuna and @Mickey - I attempted my first pork butt this weekend.  The results were good with some lessons learned as well.  I have a new appreciation for the Thermapen.  All of the buy suggestions on this site for that tool are right on.  I think the next time I try this I will increase the amount of rub and seek to be more patient before going to the foil cook.  Also, I need heavy duty aluminum foil.

Here are the results

The pork, the sides (layered salad and slaw from a Dillard House Recipe) and finally the plated - sorry photo wasn't so great and I was ready to eat.

The result was the family loved it - my two little girls used every excuse possible to say "pork Butt" never just pork.

I found a mustard sauce and vinegar sauce that I made Friday night and like the Mustard best - a simple mix from About.com.

·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The pulled pork look nice and moist.  I use the light weight foil to wrap the butts, just many layers!  For some reason, i'm talking from experience, if you foil before hitting 160, the butt will not pull right!!  Mine had areas that were not ready to pull.  I think i was in a rush and wrapped it at 140!!!  Never again !!
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,894
    Look great!  Did you inject the butts?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • The whole meal looks fantastic even this early in the AM

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • Look great!  Did you inject the butts?  

I did not.  I followed Mickey's advice and went Bad Byron's Butt rub, mustard, and more rub.

·
  • Better picture of the pork
    WP_000413.jpg 864.2K
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Take it easy with those pictures DAWG, it's gettin close to lunch time ! :((
    ·