Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Weekend Cooks (lots of pics)

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Started off Friday night with some wings and some home made jalapeno cheese venison sausage.

Didn't manage to get a shot after they came off the Egg and got tossed with some Buffalo Sauce. Nothing fancy, just your average Frank's hot sauce, butter, sriracha and some spices.

Saturday, we went to a friends house for his kids b-day party. There were some burgers and dogs grilled on a gas grill. Didn't try them, glad I had a big breakfast. Afterwards, we swung by the Dallas Farmer's Market. By this time it was around 4, so I wasn't really surprised to see this sign at Pecan Lodge (which is one of the top BBQ places in Dallas.

That's ok. I got what I really came for. A 100% grass fed, locally raised brisket (full packer brisket weighing in at 5.46lbs). Also got some ground beef. I asked the guy for bacon, but he was trying to sell me some "cottage bacon" which apparently comes from the shoulder. I said no, thanks, I'll just take the regular. Got home and realized he gave me the cottage stuff anyway. It was ok, but not bacon. Also picked up some green onions, avocados, brussel sprouts, plums and probably some other stuff I forgot. Can't wait to smoke that brisket next weekend.

Sunday, we did a ton of yard work. Got the hammock out to enjoy the weather. Bodi wasn't real sure about it.

Well, if he doesn't want to take advantage of it, I'll rest up a bit before dinner.

Dinner was some skirt steak. Fired up the Egg and then used the BGE grate extender to drop it really close to the coals. In this picture you can see how its below the top of the fire ring. The steak was marinated in some Lone Star beer, soy sauce, some whatsthishere sauce and spices.

Almost done, just a few minutes per side.

"Hey! Did you make enough for me?" Ollie asked.

Not the best fiinished pic, but topped with some provolone cheese and sauteed mushrooms and onions. Not tortillas as we're still not doing carbs. Some asparagus that we grilled on the side while they steak was resting and a salad.

Pretty nice weekend all in all. The weather was perfect. They seem to fly by too fast lately.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    That last picture is "over the top" !!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    The skirt steak, wings, and sausage look great, Grif.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    I can see 400 lbs in your future =))  Griff when Stacie tosses your 400lb butt out, will you marry me. That looks so good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It all looks outstanding Griff.  I have to disagree..the finished pic is the best ;)

That's dangerous stuff...pulling a switacharoo on a man's bacon!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Very nice cooks!! And looks like a great weekend. We have a farmers market. It's nothing to get excited about, but I need to do better about checking it out. Wife and I are trying to plan a grass fed beef purchase but stuff around the house keeps breaking.

Did you cook any of that bacon?

XLBGE 
  • Griffin

@Mickey - 400lbs? I think not. I think I finally got my levels stabilized and the weight is hovering at 193-195 right now, but I'm about to kick off some more workouts this week. The goal is to break the 190 mark.

@SmoekyPitt - my thoughts exactly!

@mrCookingNurse - I had some yesterday. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't bacon. More like ham. Not greasy at all. It was ok.

Rowlett, Texas

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Griffin said:

@Mickey - 400lbs? I think not. I think I finally got my levels stabilized and the weight is hovering at 193-195 right now, but I'm about to kick off some more workouts this week. The goal is to break the 190 mark.

@SmoekyPitt - my thoughts exactly!

@mrCookingNurse - I had some yesterday. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't bacon. More like ham. Not greasy at all. It was ok.

I have lost 40 lbs and kept it off for more than a year. Had to cut my carbs by 80% and exercise. Anything to keep my diabetes under control. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    I have made tortillas with almond and coconut flour. About 2 carbs each and they taste good. Lettuce leaves also work. Anything but wheat or corn flour.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin
    edited April 2013
    Yep. I'm gonna play around with some lettuce wraps. What type of lettuce do you recommend @egger_ave?

Rowlett, Texas

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Everything looks great! That brisket will be great too.

I'm going for skirt steak tacos next weekend. I've been craving them but waited until more people will be around to make a Mexican feast.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

That looks pretty tasty, I almost went by Pecan Lodge on Friday, but got side tracked by getting the truck washed, and then Home Depot. Tried Torchys tacos instead, not that bad.

I will be interested how the brisket turns out, I can't eat that for 5 weeks starting today but I think If you do yours before Memorial Day let us know. I might head down there and purchase one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin said:
    Yep. I'm gonna play around with some lettuce wraps. What type of lettuce do you recommend @egger_ave?
    I'd give boston bibb a try.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    We like Torchy's. Much better than Fuzzy's. Last time we went, I had a chicken and waffle (and egg) breakfast taco. It was amazing. Might have been a monthly special though.

Rowlett, Texas

• Wow thats a great weekend, all looks great.
  • Griffin
    Griffin said:
    I'd give boston bibb a try.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Rowlett, Texas

• That's the kind of weekend I wish I had!
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    @Griffin That looks great!   Sometimes I wish I had more time on the weekends to do a lot of cooks but then I just realize how great it is to sit at the baseball fields all day watching your boys play.   

Large BGE

• egger ave
    Bibb lettuce works, almost any leaf lettuce. I have also used Romaine. The thick vein can be a pain though. Going to do Chorizo Lettuce Wraps on Saturday at the Texas Eggfest.

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've had to wait all morning until now to finally see the pics. It sounded like a fabulous weekend. The pics prove it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I have flat iron on the menu this week, mushrooms in the fridge, and we are also watching our carbs. Gonna give this a try! Thanks for the great post. :)
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    egger ave said:

I have made tortillas with almond and coconut flour. About 2 carbs each and they taste good. Lettuce leaves also work. Anything but wheat or corn flour.

Do you have a recipe for those tortillas ?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin
    double said:
    Do you have a recipe for those tortillas ?
    I'd love to see it as well.

Rowlett, Texas